Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My Daily Bread

"Today's Devotion" For September 13, 2005

Read: Luke 11:1-13; I Timothy 6:6-19

MY DAILY BREAD

"...give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown You, and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." (Pr. 30:8b-9)

"Gimme, gimme, gimme." This is a mantra that seems to permeate our world. In many of our colleges and universities, students are setting goals to make their "first million" by a certain age. In corporations around the country, executives and managers are looking for ways to line their pockets at the expense of the company and its employees. Children are being neglected because parents are too busy making more money and buying more things. When you listen to all the people "out there" who are touting the next great money-making venture, you hear them asking the same question, "What do you want?" "How much do you want to make?" They play on the greed factor.

"Gimme, gimme, gimme" isn't just a mantra for those seeking great wealth and possessions. It's also a mantra for those who have little and feel oppressed. Terrorism finds a home among those who have "too little" as they see it, because it gives them a sense of power over those who have "too much." Many poor people turn to crimes like drug dealing and prostitution (among others) in order to achieve an elusive way out of poverty. We can look at them and perhaps understand why they might go in such a direction, but it points to the same malady that faces those who "have too much." Neither group trusts God for their "daily bread" - what they need each day for life - nor do they ask Him to give them what's essential.

Jesus teaches us to pray "Give us this day our daily bread." He teaches us to seek the Father's blessings for our daily needs. Our heavenly Father gives us, not only physical necessities, but spiritual ones as well. Not only does He give us the food, clothing, and shelter that we need, but He also gives us the spiritual gifts of the Holy Spirit so that we might grow in our faith and trust in Him and be effective witnesses to His love for the world in Jesus Christ. As you pray each day for your "daily bread" remember to thank God for what He has given you and seek His wisdom to use it wisely. If He gives you a lot, then pray that He will lead you to not taking it for granted. Pray also that He will lead you to use it to His glory and the benefit of others. If He gives you less than others, but all that you need, give thanks and pray that He will allow you to be content and at peace with what you have.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I like to have a lot more things than what I really need. Too often I look to have things that don't do anything to maintain my daily needs nor improve my relationship with You. Forgive me for my greediness and my ungratefulness. Lead me to faithfully pray "give us this day our daily bread" trusting that my Father in heaven will give me all that I need. Help me to reflect such contentment with His gifts to me that I may be an example to others and give glory to God. In Your precious name I pray. Amen.
*******************************************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: