Thursday, September 15, 2005

Living Forgiven Lives

"Today's Devotion" For September 15, 2005

Read: Galatians 6:1-5; James 5:13-20

LIVING FORGIVEN LIVES

"Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted." (Gal. 6:1)

I don't know about you, but I seem to have a penchant for watching people "twist in the wind" when they've done something wrong. It seems I have this inherent glee in their discomfort. God forbid, however, that the shoe should ever be on the other foot. When it is, I'm outraged and upset that others can't be more forgiving and understanding.

One of the most difficult parts of life is forgiving others for what they've done to you. It seems that within the Body of Christ that's even harder to do, because we expect more from one another. Our natural, sinful state seems to take over and hold others more accountable for their actions than we hold ourselves for our own actions. We'll readily point fingers at other, but forget what stares at us in the mirror every day. I remember my dad saying, when, as children we blamed what we had done on a sibling, that every time we pointed a finger at another, there were three others pointing back at us. He, of course didn't mean we couldn't affix blame where it was warranted, only that our "stuff stunk" too.

There's no better way to have life's burdens lifted from our shoulders than to live with a heart filled with forgiveness and love. Being concerned about one another to restore one another in the aftermath of sin, only serves to reflect God's grace, love, mercy, and forgiveness to us in Jesus Christ. We love because He first loved us. We forgive because He has first forgiven. Living forgiven lives means living in peace with God and one another. Living forgiven lives gives us a whole new perspective and a peace that overcomes the world.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You consider me so important, that if I get lost from You, You will seek me out without stopping and without fail. Help me to treat my brothers and sisters in the faith, with the same compassion and forgiveness You have shown to me. Help me to be ready at all times to reach out with Your Word to those who are repentant of their sins so that they might be comforted with Your mercy and forgiveness. Thanks again, Lord, for loving me so much that Your forgiveness is mine, by faith, everyday. Amen.
******************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: