Friday, September 09, 2005

God's Measurement For Success

"Today's Devotion" For September 9, 2005

Read: Matthew 25:14-40; Psalm 25

GOD'S MEASUREMENT FOR SUCCESS

"Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life." (Rev. 2:10)

I was struck by an article in the local newspaper's sports section this morning - no, not physically:>). As a Packer fan I'm always interested in reading articles about the players. This particular article struck me because it was about a new, young player who has struggled and persevered mightily to make an NFL team, and has finally done so. He drives an older vehicle, has a modest home, and spends his free time talking to children about "success" - studying hard, working hard, caring for others, taking care of your family. He points out that he tries to show the children that whatever they do they can be successful whether as a carpenter, plumber, serving in the military, or any other occupation. His message is clear; his audience challenging.

A few years ago I asked a group of college students what their ideas about success were. I received the typical responses with which we're all familiar - "I want a good job"; "I want a nice house"; "I want to be financially comfortable"; "I want to advance to the top of my career field"; "I want others to know I made a difference." There were others like these but there was one which stood out. One young man said, "I'll consider my life to have been a success when I hear Jesus say, 'Well done, good and faithful servant' (Mt. 25:23) as He takes me to heaven."

In the world of "self-help" and "success" these days, we're encouraged not to succumb to the "dream-stealers." We're encouraged to "reach for the top," to persevere to success, which is generally measured by power, prestige, position, and wealth. Every once in a while some "guru" might throw in "being happy," but too often "being happy" is tied in with the other measurements of success. In fact, if you read enough of such material, there's a distinct impression given that one can't be happy unless they attain those measurements of success. The commonly accepted advice is to model the success of others, according to the world's measurements of success.

Jesus' words in Revelation put the concept of success into perspective. According to our Lord, success for His people is receiving "the crown of life" at the end of a life that faces persecution and ridicule for being a believer in Christ. As we read the letter to the Church at Smyrna, and hear about the struggles they faced because they were faithful in their witness to God's love in Christ, we're reminded that it's our faithfulness to God, by the power of His Word and Spirit, which is the true measurement of success. It's God's measurement of success. It's the measurement by which we, as His redeemed children want to measure ourselves against each day. When we do, we'll realize that we fall woefully short of His standards. At the same time we also remember His promise that, as He looks at us through the righteousness of Christ, He will find us faithful and give us the "crown of life." Ultimately, God's "measurement of success" for our lives, doesn't depend us on, but on Jesus' suffering, death, and resurrection. By His grace, through faith, we are empowered by His Word and Spirit to live for Him as we live for others. Now that's success!

Prayer: Heavenly Father, it's very easy for me to adopt the world's standards and measurements for success. They are very enticing. Wealth, power, prestige, and position can make life much easier to live, at least so it appears to my sinful heart. Forgive me for losing sight of the big picture which shows me that the only true success in life is measured by my relationship with you. Strengthen me in my faith and trust in You through Christ, my Savior and Lord, so that I might live my faith as I serve You and others in Jesus' name. Keep me safe from the dangers of following the world's measurements for success and accepting them for my own. Let my life be an example and model of what it means to live according to Your measurements for success found only through faith in Christ; in Whose precious and most holy name I pray. Amen.
*********************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: