Monday, May 08, 2006

Surely It Is God Who Saves Us!

"Today's Devotion" For May 8, 2006

Read: Isaiah 12:1-6; Psalm 18:1-6, 46-50

SURELY IT IS GOD WHO SAVES US!!

"Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation." (Isaiah 12:2)

Yesterday, Marion, our youngest, was confirmed. Whewwwww! This has been a long time coming. Four more years and Susan and I will finally be "empty nesters" - well after many of our younger friends and acquaintances. We're ready! Our "salvation" is coming! A high school and college graduation this year, another high school graduation next year, and soon (well, maybe not as soon as I'd like) all seven children will be on their own. Then I'll be able to finally get some sleep - NOT!!!!!

All kidding aside, yesterday was a special day, not only because Marion's the last of our seven children to confirm her Baptismal vows before the Lord and the Body of Christ, but because of her choice of Scripture as her confirmation verse. I've printed it above - it's our focus for "Today's Devotion." It says a lot to me about her faith and trust in God. It's also a good reminder to all of us, in the midst of a troubled and dangerous world, that we're not standing alone, we're not left to our own devices, and, no matter how bad things may seem to be, our God is with us and saves us for Himself.

How easy it is for us to forget this truth. How often don't the things that happen every day overwhelm us? How often don't we get discouraged when we hear the news or read a newspaper and see all the horrible things that are happening all over the world - the terrible things people do to each other - the wars, crime, hatred, bigotry, and every form of depravity that one can imagine (and even some that, perhaps, we've never imagined)? Yet, as the prophet, Isaiah reminds us, and as David so marvelously sings in Psalm 18, God is our salvation - He saves us from everything and anyone who would seek to do us harm and separate us from His love.

Marion chose to confirm her faith in Jesus as her Lord and Savior by proclaiming the words of Isaiah to the world. By God's grace she'll live those words out in her life, facing each and every challenge, difficulty, and danger with those words ringing in her ears, living in her heart, and coming from her lips. Those words of Isaiah are also words for the rest of us as well. Our God has saved us from the most deadly of enemies and the most horrible "fate" is taking away our sins through the blood of the Lamb, even Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

I'm not a big fan of some of the newer forms of hymns and "praise songs" that mark the music of the church these days. So much of it seems to be more entertainment oriented than truly prayer and praise to God. Yet, there is a song of praise based on Isaiah 12:2 which fills my heart and lifts my soul and spirit into the presence of God. Its refrain goes something like this - "Surely it is God who saves me. I will trust in Him and not be afraid. For He is my stronghold and my sure defense; and He has become my Savior." May this be our confidence, our proclamation, and our source of strength for living each day - Surely, it is God who saves us!

Prayer: Father, thank You for all Your blessings to me. You have brought me to faith in Jesus as my Savior and Lord so that I might know Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in the midst of a world that seeks to keep me from You. Too often, Father, I find myself overwhelmed by the vagaries of life and the depravity of the world around me. This beautiful, magnificent creation of Yours all too often is a place where the worst things happen because of Sin. Yet, by Your wonderful grace and blessing, I have hope, peace, and joy in the face of all these things because You are my Savior - my God in whom I trust. Strengthen my faith every day, Father, by the power of Your Word and Spirit, so that I might proclaim with joy and peace, hope and assurance, that "Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord is my strength and my song. He has become my salvation." In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
******************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 The Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: