Saturday, May 13, 2006

God's Good Gifts

"Today's Devotion" For May 13, 2006

Read: Matthew 7:7-11; James 1:5-18

GOD'S GOOD GIFTS

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks will receive; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." (Matthew 7:7, 8)

Have you ever heard the pleadings of a child who wants something? Often that pleading becomes exceedingly annoying when the parent says, "No!" Then the pleading gets shriller and more strident. I've seen children throw tantrums just to get a mother to give them what they want just to "shut them up." I seem to remember my wife telling me some years ago that one of our children pulled the same thing in the grocery store. In front of everyone, she picked up that child (I can't remember which one so I'm not going to say he or she), paddled that child, and (if I remember correctly) they left the store without the groceries or our child getting what was desired. She wasn't going to give in to such impertinence and misbehavior. I've always been proud of her for that.

On the other hand, when our children ask us for things in a manner that is respectful and what they ask for isn't harmful to them, we're much more inclined to consider, and, perhaps, even fulfill the request. Sometimes it's not in my power (or yours) - or pocketbook- to give them what they've asked for, but my "no" is always tempered with an, "I wish I could" type of response. Certainly parents who love their children want them to ask them for things; want them to communicate their needs and wants so they have an opportunity to respond in a loving and gracious way. This is an essential part of developing and nurturing a relationship of love and trust between parents and children. At the same time, parents are also called upon to temper their responses according to what's good for their children, and teach them what's appropriate for fulfilling their needs and wants. I've noticed that my own children's requests get wiser as they grow older, not only because of changing needs and greater maturity, but because they've also been taught what things are good for them and what things are not.

Jesus wants us to know that our Father in heaven wants us to ask Him for the things we need. He wants us to trust Him to give us only what's good for us. He will never give us anything that will harm us; His blessings are always good and fill our every need. James reminds us that God gives His children "every good and perfect gift." He also reminds us that, as God dearly beloved children, He calls upon us to ask Him for what we need in prayer - it's an important part of our relationship with Him. Our Father in heaven sets the example for those of us who are parents (or will become parents), of what it means to be a father - to be a loving parent who loves and takes care of the needs of his children. God's gifts are at all times good. He provides us with every good thing.

Asking for God's good gifts is a privilege and wonderful gift of His grace. The very faith in Christ that leads us to ask Him for what we need is also His good and perfect gift to us. And, it's that very gift of faith that tempers our requests, because it leads us to ask for what we know, by faith, is pleasing and good before God. After all, God only gives us good gifts.

Prayer: Father, I thank You for the great and marvelous gift of Your grace in Jesus Christ. You have brought me to faith in Jesus by the power of Your Word and Spirit - two of Your most precious gifts to me. Strengthen me in that faith in Christ that my relationship with You may grow stronger and stronger every day - that I may approach Your throne of grace with my every need and trust that You will fill it according to Your good and gracious wisdom and will. Father, I also pray that You would help me to be a better parent that I might seek to temper my desire to give to my children with the wisdom to know what good for them. Help me also, as both Your child and a child of my parents to honor those relationships with respect and love, not seeking my selfish desires, but only for the best they can give of themselves. Let my life and actions as a parent and child be a living example of what it means to have a relationship with You and receive Your good gifts. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
*******************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 The Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: