Friday, July 15, 2005

"Simul Iustus Et Peccator"

"Today's Devotion" For July 16, 2005

Read: Galatians 2:1-21; Psalm 16

"SIMUL IUSTUS ET PECCATOR"

"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display His unlimited patience as an example for those who believe on Him and receive eternal life." (I Tim. 1:15, 16)

When I was a young pastor I was the consummate idealist. I really believed that if I preached and taught the Word of God with enthusiasm and made it interesting to the people in church on Sunday, that all kinds of good things would happen. The church would grow, more people would come to worship and attend the Lord's Supper regularly, and Bible Classes would be overflowing. About the time I hit the ninth month in my first parish, the bottom dropped out. Nothing I could do was right. I came face to face with human behavior that up to that time I'd only read about, and I found out that people wouldn't even listen to God--people who came to worship on Sunday and partook of the Lord's Body and Blood. I got so disillusioned that I came to believe I was the problem. I resigned and went back to school, figuring that more education would "fix" me and make me a better pastor. It seems that I had forgotten something of critical importance--the people of God aren't just saints but are also sinners at the same time.

A loose translation of the title of "Today's Devotion" is "always a saint and a sinner" and was used by Dr. Luther to describe the human condition that Christians live with every day. I'm reminded of the great confession of faith that Peter made when Jesus asked him who he believed Jesus to be--"You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Mt. 16:16). What a powerful witness as to Peter's faith and trust in Jesus. Yet, not too much later, when Jesus revealed to the Disciples that He was going to go to Jerusalem to suffer, die, and be raised again, Peter the sinner steps forward and boldly declares, "Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You" (Mt. 16:22). Our Lord Jesus has to rebuke him saying, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men" (Mt. 16:23).

Acts 9 shows us a "fire-breathing" religious zealot named Saul. A Pharisee of some repute, he was on the way to Damascus to arrest members of "The Way," as Christians were known at that time. On the way Jesus stopped him and Saul became a servant of the Christ. Later in the chapter we see Saul, although still frightening to Christians, witnessing to the Gospel, a sinner, now a saint, forgiven, restored, and empowered to serve Christ with all his being. Yet, as he grew in his service and relationship with Jesus, the man once known as Saul, now known to us as Paul, could say with all conviction, "I do not understand what I do...For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice" (Rom. 7:15, 19). In reality, as long as we live on earth, we're subject to the "split" personalities of "saint" and "sinner" at the same time.

We can either see this as an unfortunate spiritual dilemma, or a golden opportunity to rejoice in God's love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in Jesus Christ each day of our lives. In the power of our Baptisms, we have the power to live each day without sin, for we have been crucified with Christ to Sin, and raised with Him to our Father in heaven (Rom. 6). Yet, at the same time, we know that our sins are many each day and that we need to get down on our knees at the end of the day and say, as did the Tax Collector in the Temple, "God be merciful to me a sinner" (Lk. 18:18). By faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior from Sin, our Father in heaven assures us that we belong to Him and the hope and promise of eternal life with Him is a sure and certain hope. It's in that faith and trust that we live our lives fully aware of need for forgiveness because we are "sinners," and at the same time live in the full confidence that we are heirs of eternal life because, in Christ, we are "saints." "Simul iustus (pronounced "yi-u-stus") et peccator" is a good way for us to remember God's wonderful grace and mercy that comes to us in Jesus everyday.

Prayer: Father, I thank You that while I was still a sinner Christ died for me. Forgive me for those times I fail to recognize my need for you or when I have such high expectations of others that I forget that no one is perfect apart from Christ. Send Your Spirit upon me in abundant measure that I may be continually reminded of the marvelous blessings You shower upon me as a saint in Jesus Christ, and lead me to live my life as a vibrant witness to Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in Him; in Whose precious and most holy name I pray. Amen.
***********************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @ 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: