Thursday, July 14, 2005

Responsible Living

"Today's Devotion" For July 14, 2005

Read: II Peter 3:14-18; Philippians 1:3-11

RESPONSIBLE LIVING

"So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with Him." (II Pet. 3:14)

When I was a child, my father used to make it a point to teach me what it means to be responsible for my actions. His favorite saying was that "whenever you point a finger at someone else, there are three more pointing back at you." Of course I tried to overcome that problem by pointing so that my other fingers weren't pointing back at me, but it certainly was a ridiculous looking "point." Taking personal responsibility for our actions is not very high on the "hit parade" of today's culture. Whenever something goes wrong, it's either someone else's fault or it's the environment. Failed diplomacy on the world stage is due to the "pigheadedness" of other nations, not us. The economy isn't so good and it's the President's fault; uh! No! it's Congress' fault! Whether it's on the world, national, state, local, or personal level, our tendency is to put the blame on someone else; to have a "scapegoat" to take the heat and responsibility off of our shoulders.

At the heart of this attitude of irresponsibility is that old, always present condition of Sin. Peter calls God's people to live responsible lives, living in such a way that brings praise to God because of us. He encourages us to be "found spotless, blameless and at peace" with God, fully prepared by faith for the Lord's return. Knowing that we can't even begin to accomplish such living on our own, we look to God's power and forgiveness to strengthen us in faith and service in Jesus' name. As we put our trust in Jesus, we find that we can live responsible lives, knowing that when we fail, God's Spirit will lift us up, remind us of the forgiveness that is ours in Christ, and empower us to live for Jesus.

Because of Jesus Christ we are "spotless, blameless and at peace" with God. His suffering, death and resurrection makes it all ours by faith. By His Word and Spirit, He prepares us to meet Him when He comes again. By His Word and Spirit, He helps us to live lives that both give and bring glory to God. By His Word and Spirit, our Lord Jesus Christ strengthens us in faith so that we will, for sure be "found spotless, blameless, and at peace" with God. In such responsible living we will bring glory to God, and even those who don't know Him will give Him glory because of our example of faith and obedience.

Prayer: Father, I know that on my own and of myself I cannot be "spotless, blameless and at peace" with You. Only You can accomplish that in me and for me in Jesus, my Lord and Savior. By Your Word and Spirit, help me to grow more firmly in my faith and service to You. Let me be an example of "responsible living" for You. Help me to show others what it means to take responsibility for my actions, and live in Your forgiveness and love. Help me to share Your love with others so that they, too, may come to know Jesus as their Savior and Lord, and stand before You "spotless, blameless, and at peace." Hear me, Father, for Jesus' sake. Amen. *************************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved

No comments: