Monday, August 22, 2005

Is It "We Believe" or "I Believe?"

"Today's Devotion" For August 22, 2005

Read: Romans 12:3-13; I Corinthians 12-13

IS IT "WE BELIEVE" OR "I BELIEVE?"

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (Jn. 3:16)

In yesterday morning's sermon the pastor noted that the original Latin words of the various ecumenical creeds of the Christian church read, "We believe...," not "I believe..." which is the more popular and contemporary usage when reciting them. Someone raised the question in Bible class yesterday morning as to why the change had been made. I said I wasn't completely certain, but, as the questioner himself noted, it's true that the word change has some correlation to the idea that no one else can believe in Jesus for me. At the same time, in a world that is increasingly "me" oriented, there is significance to the "we believe..." that shouldn't be ignored.

The Scripture readings for today may seem to be a little disparate. Yet, I believe, they speak to the very issue raised by the question noted above. At the very heart of the issue is the truth that Christ died for all, for the whole world. John 3:16 is, perhaps, the most well known statement of that fact. He died to save the world that God loves from the power of Sin, Death, and Satan, and restore Creation and every human being to a full and right relationship with the Creator. The result of that sacrifice is the forgiveness of sins and the hope of everlasting life for all who believe in Jesus as Savior and Lord.

Some years ago, I remember learning an evangelism technique which took John 3:16 and reworded it in this way: "For God so loved (Mary, Bill, Jane, Bob, etc.), that if (insert person's name) believes in Jesus as (his/her) Lord and Savior, (insert person's name) will have eternal life." It's catchy; it's contemporary; it's also incomplete and inaccurate, even while true. Each of us is part of the "world" for which Christ died. We live in the world, not on an individual planet. What we do, how we live, how we speak, and all that transpires in our lives doesn't just affect us individually, but it affects others as well. Throughout the Scriptures God doesn't speak in individual terms, but in corporate terms. His commandments were given to His people as a whole, while also applying to each of us individually. I can't answer for your sins, only mine. I can't repent of your sins, only you can do that. I can't receive forgiveness of sins for you, only for me. Yet, I am my brother's keeper, regardless of Cain's response to God about his brother, Abel (Gen. 4:9b). As our two readings for today from Paul's epistles point out, each of us is a member of the Body of Christ, living collectively in God's grace, while bringing our individual gifts to the table for the benefit of all.

Answering the question, "Is it "We believe" or "I believe?" isn't as difficult as it might seem. In reality it's both at the same time. Each of us has been born into the Body of Christ by faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior from Sin. Individually we have been baptized into Christ through the washing of the water and the Word and the power of the Holy Spirit. Each of us has received God's grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness in Christ so that our lives might be lived to the full. Yet none of us has been redeemed and restored to God alone. Not one of us is alone in Christ. As God reminded Elijah, when he thought he was the only believer left, that He had reserved to Himself "seven thousand in Israel - all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal..." (I Kings 19:18). God's continuing promise to us isn't just that we're saved by faith in Christ, but that this faith has made us, together, members of His Body, the Church. This same salvation is also for the whole world, whom God invites to be part of that same Body.

One thing stands out in each of the Scriptures noted for today. The words of John 3:16 and the words of Paul's epistles speak of one thing that binds all of God's people together into one whole, while still individuals - love. The word in the Greek is "agape" which has the meaning of being totally "selfless,” "other-centered," and "sacrificial." It's love that can only come from God, that can only be understood through the sacrifice of Jesus, and that can only be a part of our lives because the Holy Spirit, through the Word, leads us to believe. There can be no "sacrificial love," no "selfless love," no "other-centered love" if we stand alone, individually, by ourselves. By God's grace and mercy we have been blessed to confess both "We believe..." and "I believe..." in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. His love, His "agape," is at the center of that confession; it's the foundation on which the confession stands. So, regardless of our individual gifts, talents, and abilities, God's "agape" has its greatest impact when it's experienced and received by all in the Body of Christ, and then, together, shared with the world so that all people might be saved.

Prayer: Father, it's so easy for me to become "self-centered" in my life and my faith. It's easy to fall into the trap of the world which focuses more attention on "me, myself, and I" than it does on other people. Service is a word often used to pat oneself on the back, rather than being an act of selfless, sacrificial love for those who are served. You have given me many talents, gifts, and abilities by which I might serve You and others in Jesus' name. Help me to remember that all these things are useless unless I put them together with all the gifts You've given to the Body of Christ. Father, as Your greatest gift of all, Your love - "agape" - is given to each member of Christ's Body, the Church, guide me to share that same love with others as part of that Body. Remind me that when I confess, "I believe..." that it's fullest expression is found in "We believe..." as I'm in the company of the saints on earth and the saints in heaven, from which I draw strength and the courage to share Jesus with others. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
****************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: