Friday, May 20, 2005

The Dart Test

"Today's Devotion" For May 20, 2005

Read: Matthew 5:30-48; Psalm 130

THE DART TEST

"The King replied, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.'" (Mt. 25:40)

A young college student named Sally, attending a Christian college in the Midwest, tells of a most profound object lesson given in a religion class. Her professor, Dr. Smith, both a theologian and a psychologist, was known for his elaborate object lessons. Coming into class one day, Sally noticed that Dr. Smith had posted a large target on the wall. A table full of darts stood not far from the target. It looked like it was going to be a fun day in class.

As always, Dr. Smith began the class with a prayer. After the resounding "Amen" from the class, Dr. Smith asked that each of the class members draw a picture of someone they disliked or someone that caused them to grow angry. He said he would allow them to throw darts at the person's picture. With those instructions, the class set eagerly to work. Sally's girlfriend drew a picture of a girl who had stolen her boyfriend. Another classmate drew a picture of his younger brother. As for Sally, she drew a picture of a former friend, someone who had hurt her deeply with a lie. She put a great deal of effort and detail into her drawing, even to the point of blemishes on the person's face.

All in all, Sally and her classmates were quite pleased with the overall effects of the portraits they had drawn. The class lined up and began throwing darts. The anger and frustration of the students became obvious. Some of the students threw their darts with such force that their targets were ripping apart. Toward the end of the line, Sally eagerly awaited her turn. Unfortunately, because of time constraints, Dr. Smith asked the students to return to their seats. The anger of those who didn't get an opportunity to throw their darts, including Sally, was powerful. They pleaded with Dr. Smith for just a little more time to vent their frustrations. Dr. Smith said nothing. Instead he began removing the target behind the pictures from the wall. Beneath that target was a picture of Jesus.

A sudden hush fell over the room. As each student viewed the mangled picture of Jesus they experienced a rush of emotion. Holes and jagged marks from the darts covered His face. His eyes were pierced and torn. The students were in shock and anguish. Piercing the silence, just before the bell, came these words spoken by Dr. Smith, "In as much as you have done it unto the least of these My brothers, You have done it unto Me" (Mt. 25:40 - NKJV). Just then the bell rang. No one moved. No one spoke. All eyes - tear-filled - focused only on the picture of Christ.

"While we were yet sinners," St. Paul writes, "Christ died for us" (Rom. 5:8). Jesus didn't die for those who were perfect; who never did anything wrong or evil. He died for sinners. His love is so great that He carried our sins upon Himself, accused and condemned for us, although He Himself was perfect and holy and without sin. By faith in Him we daily receive His forgiveness, even though each day we are guilty of disobedience to God and acting unlovingly toward others. As we remember His gracious and merciful love toward us, we are encouraged to treat others in the same way. Living for Jesus also means loving others, even when we believe them to be unlovable. Perhaps, in our dealings with others, we might remember "The Dart Test."

Prayer: Dearest Lord Jesus, I'm so often forgetful that before my Father in heaven, standing alone, I'm not very "pretty." I'm a creature of the Creator that too often chooses to live my way, not His way. I find myself chagrined at the realization that I'm no "better looking" than those with whom I get angry and seek to harm because of something they've done to me. If You, O Lord, were to see only my sins and my "ugliness" I would be lost to You forever. Yet, in Your great love for me and all humanity, You came to earth and took on my form. You subjected Yourself to the Father's Will, hate, ridicule, the onslaughts of Satan, and death on a cross. Through Your perfect life and sacrifice I, and all who believe in You, might be forgiven of our sins and saved to eternal life. Lord, forgive me for not forgiving others. Help me to love as You have loved me. Lead me to treat everyone as if they were You. Bring me safely to my home in heaven. In Your precious name I pray. Amen.
***************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: