Saturday, April 23, 2005

Keeping Heaven In Sight

"Today's Devotion" For April 23, 2005

Read: John 14:1-7; Revelation 21:1-5

KEEPING HEAVEN IN SIGHT

"There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Rev. 21:4)

A Sunday School teacher once asked her fourth grade class to describe how each of them viewed heaven. Some of the children’s response are quite amazing:

1) "Only good people go to heaven. The others go to where it's hot all the time, like Florida."
2) "Maybe I'll die someday, but I hope I don't die on my birthday, because it's no fun to celebrate your birthday when you're dead."
3) "When you die, you don't have to do homework in heaven, unless your teacher is there too."

As I read these wonderfully simple and humorous descriptions of heaven, I was reminded how vital and important it is for us to be certain of the reality of heaven for our lives. Last night I went to the funeral home because a cousin had died earlier this week at the age of 84. While talking with his older son, a man my age, he noted that his dad had suffered from his heart condition for some time. He had been at a hospice, but wanted to come home where he continued to receive hospice care and the care of his daughter. It made him more comfortable and he died peacefully. Then my cousin Ronnie said something even more important. He told me that his dad had prayed every day that God would call him home to heaven.

So often our world considers heaven, and its converse, hell, to be nonsense and simply fables. Too many people forget the faith of their childhoods and grow cynical and unable to believe in heaven, much less hell. While the children's responses to their teacher's question weren't what we might call "classic theology," they were theological nevertheless. Sadly, as these and other children grow up, their faith in Jesus doesn't always come with them and heaven becomes simply another "feel good" idea. As we look around at the people with whom we work, play, and have contact each day it would be interesting to know how many of them truly know and understand the marvelous promises of God in Christ, that their sins are forgiven by faith in Him, and that they have a sure and certain assurance of eternal life with God in heaven.

It was good to hear that my cousin had not forgotten where his real home is. His confident trust in Jesus had been evident as long as I'd known him, particularly as I was growing up. His final days were a testimony to his family and friends of that faith and confidence. In our daily walk of faith, that same assurance of heaven is ours as well. While still living on this earth we have the confident assurance that we also live in our Father's Kingdom, and that our ultimate, final home is in Jesus' arms in heaven. Filled with the hope and peace that faith in Christ brings into our lives, we live for Him each day, reaching out with confidence and hope to others who don't know Him or His love. Living in a complex, complicated, and cynical world, having the confidence of heaven by faith in Christ is a special treasure and a marvelous blessing. In our daily walk of faith, that confidence fills our lives and gives us the courage to live for Jesus, for the benefit of others and the glory of our Father in heaven.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, as You have promised to prepare a place for me and all Your saints in heaven, help me to remain faithful to You that I may claim the "crown of life that doesn't fade away." Lead me to live each day faithfully so that others might see Your love, grace, and mercy through me and be brought to a saving knowledge of You. When problems, sorrows, pain, trials and tribulations arise, help me to take comfort and strength in not only Your love for me, but also the fact that Heaven is my home and nothing can keep me from it. Hear my pray O Lord. Amen.
********************************************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: