Friday, June 03, 2005

The Ultimate Counselor For The Defense

"Today's Devotion" For June 3, 2005

Read: Romans 3:21-31; Psalm 71:1-2, 18-24

THE ULTIMATE COUNSELOR FOR THE DEFENSE

"We have One Who speaks to the Father in our defense -- Jesus Christ." (I Jn. 2:1)

One of my all-time favorite television programs was "Perry Mason." You probably remember him. He was the character that ended up defining the acting career of Raymond Burr in the hearts of countless fans. What I always enjoyed was his tenacity and never-say-die attitude that always seemed to manage a courtroom victory for his clients, despite the odds being stacked against them. He was a smart, courageous, intelligent, and compassionate, yet tough character. Perry Mason, from a purely "popular" point of view, was the epitome of class, calm, and commitment in an attorney-at-law for a generation of television viewers.

From a purely spiritual standpoint, the whole world is in need of a "Perry Mason" as the guilt of sins of omission and commission mark the lives of human beings in relationship to God's Law. Everyday we're guilty of disobedience to God's Word and Will. Our accuser, the devil, does his level best to drive a barrier between human beings and God. He stands before God's "court," accusing us (that's one of Satan's names - Accuser) of full and total disobedience to the Father's Will. Sadly, he's right. Every human being stands before God's holiness and is found wanting in character, behavior, and a relationship with God. As Scripture reminds us, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Rom. 3:23). Armed with first-hand knowledge of our sinful behavior, the devil stands before God's throne accusing us and decrying God's patience and love for us all. As we stand "in the dock," accused of total disobedience to God's Will and purpose for our lives, we have an Advocate, a "Perry Mason" if you will, that fights for our acquittal on all charges. He is our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

It's the cross of Christ that redeems us. It's the cross of Christ which gives us hope, joy, and forgiveness. It's the cross of Christ that provides the "Defense" for sinful human beings, as we stand before the throne of God's grace while accused by our Sins, Satan, and even our own hearts. God has made us His very own children and, for the sake of Jesus has forgiven us of all our sins. We can be certain that there's no one like our Savior and Lord. While guiltless, He took on our guilt - standing in our place "in the dock." He bore the price for our sins on His own head and leads us to repentance by the power of His Word and Spirit, so that we might have life abundantly and live to fully share the Good News of salvation in Christ with others.

Through Jesus' cleansing blood, His perfect obedience to God's Law, and His resurrection, we have the three most powerful witnesses to God's love and forgiveness for the whole world. We stand acquitted before the Judgment Seat of God for the sake of Christ. We are made alive in His love so that we might touch others' lives with that love as well. In the end, our Lord Jesus Christ stands before the Father, accused in our place. What a wonderful gift from God to know "The Ultimate Counselor for the Defense," even Jesus' Christ is our Savior and Lord.

Prayer: Father, I thank You for sending Jesus into the world so that I might have hope in my relationship with You. I know I don't deserve any of Your blessings, or even Your love. In so many ways, everyday of my life, I go in opposite directions from where You want me to go. Too often, "I" becomes my focus instead of You and others. Despite Jesus' victory over Sin, I still let Sin rule my life. If I try to stand on my own before Your righteous and holy judgment I am condemned and cursed forever. Yet, in Christ Jesus I have "the consummate attorney for the defense." He has removed my sins and my guilt before You as I stand washed in His blood and clean and holy in Your eyes because of His sacrifice for me. Father, help me to live today and everyday in the hope and peace that Jesus brings into my relationship with You. Guide me and encourage me by Your Word and Spirit to live each moment in You and for You so that my life, my speech, and my deeds might declare Your praises and the wonderful gift of life in Jesus to all whom I meet. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
*********************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: