Wednesday, June 01, 2005

O What A Beautiful Morning!

"Today's Devotion" For June 1, 2005

Read: Philippians 4:4-9; Psalm 100

O WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING!

"This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Ps. 118:24)

"O, what a beautiful morning! O, what a beautiful day! I've got a wonderful feeling, everything's going my way!" This song, from the musical "Oklahoma," is one of my all-time, "I'm feeling really great!" songs. It's the first thought that hit me when I awoke on this first day of June in the Year of our Lord 2005. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and the birds were singing, heard through the open windows because the temperature was comfortable outside. As those words finished flowing through my head, the next words that came to mind were the words of the Psalmist, "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!" (Ps. 118:24).

In the Walt Disney movie, Uncle Remus, one of the more endearing songs from my youth goes like this: "Zippity Doo Dah! Zippity A! My, O my, what a wonderful day! Plenty of sunshine's heading my way! Zippity Doo Dah! Zippity A! Mr. Blue Bird on my shoulder. It's the truth; it's actual; everything is satisfactual! Zippity Doo Dah! Zippity A! Wonderful feeling; wonderful day!" That song also ran through my head this morning as I reveled in the marvelous new day God has given. And again, I was reminded of the words of the Psalmist, "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!"

Sometimes there is no greater sense of theology and peace than, "O What A Beautiful Morning!" For God's people, redeemed in Jesus Christ, each and every day is a beautiful morning. It's a new beginning of life and hope, living in the peace and joy that comes with the forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life in Christ. Each day, every moment, is a new beginning for those who have been baptized into Christ; who have been redeemed in Him to live in a loving relationship with their heavenly Father. Sometimes it takes an "O What A Beautiful Morning!" kind of day, to reawaken that hope and peace within us.

Yet, at the same time, a glorious spring morning, the beautiful sunshine, the clear blue sky, the comfortable temperatures, and the sweet songs of the birds are not needed for us to rejoice in "the day that the Lord has made." While the glorious nature of His creation is made more evident in such a morning, the glorious nature of His re-creation of us in Jesus Christ, freeing us from the power of Sin, Death, and the Devil, is evident in our hearts every day as we get on our knees in humble repentance and prayer, and, by the power of His Word and Spirit, receive our Father's forgiveness and love. "O What A Beautiful Morning" it is for the redeemed of God in Jesus Christ as we live each day in His peace and joy in the full hope of a life forever with Him in heaven.

Prayer: Father, thank You for this marvelous, wonderful day. While the sun is shining outside, it can't compare with the Son that is shining inside me. By Your grace, mercy, and love I have received the marvelous, wonderful gift of Your peace and forgiveness of all my sins through faith in Jesus Christ. I am a new creation in Him, re-created in Christ Jesus to do good works and to sing Your praises. You have called me by the Gospel to a new life with You; a glorious, new morning filled with the knowledge of Your love and every blessing from Your fatherly hand. Let my heart be filled with Your peace and joy and give me the eagerness and readiness to sing Your praises, give You thanks, and share Your love in Christ Jesus with everyone I meet. In Jesus' precious and most holy name I pray. Amen.
*****************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: