Thursday, June 09, 2005

Living Humbly Before The Lord

"Today's Devotion" For June 9, 2005

Read: Luke 14:1-11; Psalm 32

LIVING HUMBLY BEFORE THE LORD

"For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith." (Rom. 12:3)

If you read the "Letters to the Editor" in any major newspaper you will find a myriad of opinions offered by the public to stories, columns, and editorials printed in that particular newspaper. Some of the letters are reasoned and well-thought out (at least in my opinion), while others are harangues against political or social positions that conflict with the writers' worldview. Often they are personal attacks on the good name and reputation of someone with whom the writer passionately disagrees. The same thing can be said for syndicated columnists and editorial staffs. Many things that these folks write are well-thought out, reasoned, and honest in approaching a particular subject. Yet, even these professionals can be found denigrating the "other guy's" position if it doesn't fit into their worldview and their particular view of what's right and wrong. Personally, I don't mind hearing or reading conflicting opinions or points of view. What troubles me, however, is when the writers or dissenters become personal and "holier-than- thou," making accusations rather than reasoned arguments intended to persuade rather than tear others down and puff themselves up. This is true, I believe, of "conservatives," "moderates," and "liberals" in spite of any denials to the contrary.

Jesus' parable in our reading today in Luke speaks to the same mindset. The nature of Sin in the lives of human beings is that the focus is on "ME." As has often been discussed at home and in Bible classes I've taught, the middle letter of the word "SIN" is "I." Sin leads us to focus on ourselves - our opinions, our ideas, our abilities, our success, our failure, our...our...our...you get the drift - and not on others or, more importantly, on God. While Jesus was addressing those who were leaders of the people and had a hard time believing He was the Messiah, Paul had a different audience but the same challenge. Speaking to the Christians of Rome, Paul noted that while God had delivered them from the power of Sin, Death, and Satan, and freed them to give their lives as "living sacrifices" (Rom. 12:1), and had "renewed their minds" (Rom. 12:2) that the danger of getting "puffed" up by such blessings was very real.

It's a very real thing for God's people to believe they're acting appropriately and humbly in using the spiritual gifts, talents, and abilities God has given them, while at the same time succumbing to their own pride. How often don't we find ourselves thinking or acting as if "no one else can do the job as well as I can?" We find ourselves conflicted between a true and living understanding of walking humbly before God, and the world's ideology which says "if you've got it, flaunt it." It's one thing to be confident of your God-given gifts, talents, and abilities, and quite another thing to use them for the benefit of others in true humility and service. I've found that one of the most difficult parts of leadership, for instance, is allowing others to use their gifts to accomplish the mission. I've found myself offering a recommendation to a group I'm leading, encouraging discussion and alternative answers, production, or ideas, and then getting defensive when their opinions, answers, suggestions, and ideas don't seem to "appreciate" my work. Even when I have my doubts about another's ability to accomplish the mission as well as I believe I can, it's the "height of arrogance," no matter how unintended, for me to deny them the opportunity to serve as God has blessed them.

By God's grace in Jesus Christ, by the power of His Word and Spirit, we have been brought to faith in Jesus and are the redeemed children of God. We're called to discipleship, to follow Jesus and share His love with others. All of God's people have been blessed with spiritual gifts, talents, and abilities for the service of God and others. In a very real way, everyone of us has been called to be a "leader" in the Gospel. The Great Commission sends us out into the world to baptize and teach everything Jesus has commanded us. It's a commission given to every single one of God's redeemed in Christ. In a very real way, each of us is called to be a leader, leading others to Jesus by how we live our lives, how we speak, and how we love. There is, perhaps, no greater evidence of our abilities to be such leaders than our "living humbly before the Lord," as living examples to others of the power of God's love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in Jesus Christ. It's not us that counts. It's the mission of the Gospel that's all-important. Keeping our egos in check, with the Spirit's help, is key to carrying out the mission. Again, today, God gives each of us another day and opportunity to humbly serve Him and others in Jesus' name.

Prayer: Father, it's really very easy for me to find myself "puffed up" by the wonderful gifts, talents, and abilities you've given to me. I've discovered in observing myself and others that part of being "puffed up" can also mean that I consider myself too good to serve others and so allow the power of Sin in my life to lead me to denigrate those gifts, talents, and abilities by not using them in Your service. Father, forgive me for such "arrogance" and lead me to seek Your Will and purpose for my life every day. By the power of Your Word and Spirit, help me to see how I might live humbly before You and also be bold in my service to You and others. Grant me the wisdom to lead others to Jesus, living my life in a way that shows them the path to Your presence and eternal life. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
**************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: