Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Secret Of Being Truly Content

"Today's Devotion" For June 7, 2006

Read: Philippians 4:10-13; II Corinthians 12:1-10

THE SECRET OF BEING TRULY CONTENT

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:12, 13)

Are you content with your life? I know this might seem like an odd question, but there's good reason to ask it. We spend a good deal of our lives striving to have a comfortable life and frequently we hear the complaints that life isn't fair. In a recent news story, a young woman who just turned 18 years of age and has just graduated from high school was told by her parents that she would have to pay for one-third of her college costs. She's planning to go to a "high-priced" private college and one-third of the cost of her education for a year would be around $12,000. She's upset. Money is no object to her parents. They can afford the full cost of her education. Yet they were after her to get a job while she was still in high school and she never did. She was content with her circumstances. Now she's required to work to help pay for her education and she's no longer content.

There's more to this story, but we need not relate anything further to make the point. No one likes to be uncomfortable in their lives. Contentment is a prize to be coveted according to much prevailing thinking. Yet, the reality of life is that things don't always go according to our plans. We don't always have a lot of things. Some people aren't certain from where their next meal is going to com. Others spend their days searching for a safe place to sleep on the streets because they're homeless. Many families don't have a lot and struggle with the cost of raising children - putting food on the table, keeping a roof overhead, and making sure there are adequate clothing and shoes. The result of Sin in this world, as God noted for Adam (Gen. 3:17-19), is that work is a requirement and it won't be easy to make a living. Yet, despite all these challenges and uncertainties, many people in these situations are among the most contented people you'll ever meet. Why? Good question.

We learn from the Apostle Paul that he, too, had his times of struggle and of ease. He had times of plenty and of want. He endured persecution and relished the love and compassionate support he received from his fellow believers in Christ. In any and all circumstances he was certain that he would strive and survive because God would give him the strength necessary to do what he was called to do. For Paul, an empty stomach was an opportunity to praise God. For Paul, having a feast was an opportunity to praise God. For Paul, sleeping out in the cold was an opportunity to praise God. For Paul, sleeping in a warm bed with a roof over his head was an opportunity to praise God. Whether imprisoned for his preaching and faith in Jesus or walking freely among people in the market place talking about Jesus with them, Paul was content - he found all circumstances of his life to be opportunities to praise God.

The "secret" to being truly content, according to Paul's own example, is to completely and fully trust in the Lord without reservation. When we are faced with the vagaries and uncertainties of life, our Lord gives us the strength to overcome our doubts and fears and, trusting His promises, to step forward in faith to live for Jesus boldly and faithfully. St. Paul's words, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" is the true "secret" to contentment in our lives. Trusting in God's promises in Christ - the forgiveness of our sins and the hope of eternal life with Him in heaven - we are confident that He will provide us what we need, when we need, for as long as we need it. Ultimately, true contentment is found only in trusting God's promises to us in Jesus Christ. That trust gives us the strength to live for Jesus and touch others with His love and forgiveness.

Prayer: Father, I thank You for all Your blessings to me. You provide every necessity of life - all my needs are met by Your loving hand. Forgive me for the times I forget that You are always with me and You never fail to do what You've promised. When I get anxious about things that I know You have promised, guide me by Your Word and Spirit to trust Your Word and promises. Help me to follow in St. Paul's footsteps and be content in every circumstance I face in life, knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that Your love sustains me and Your strength uplifts me. Father, help me to be a faithful witness to Your love and forgiveness in Christ for the world and help me to share the true "secret" of contentment with my lips and my life. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
*************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 The Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: