Friday, June 16, 2006

Forever Certain

"Today's Devotion" For June 16, 2006

Read: I Peter 1:22-25; Isaiah 55:6-13

FOREVER CERTAIN

"All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the Word of the Lord stands forever." (I Peter 1:24, 25)

"Nothing lasts forever." Now there's a statement with which almost anyone would agree, don't you think? There's a song titled, "Nothing Lasts Forever" written by Judy Collins and Jesse Valenzuela that makes the points very clearly. Some of the lyrics of the song go like this:

"Nothing lasts forever you should know that by now
Good times, Heartache
You'll get through this trouble though you may not know how
Your heart won't break
If you have a vision of your destiny
Tears can't stop you
Hidden in your heart is everything you can be
You'll be fine
Nothin' lasts forever, Nothin lasts forever, Nothin lasts forever."

The main thought of this song, continued in the subsequent verses (of which there are two more), is that you can get through anything because nothing lasts forever. If you're patient enough and can stay focused, the implication is that you can face any hardship and overcome any difficulty by just focusing on the reality that "nothing lasts forever."

In a sense, that's what Peter is reminding us of when he notes that "all men are like grass and their glory is as the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall...(I Peter 1:24). Peter is quoting from the Prophet Isaiah (Is. 40:6-8) and is reminding us that we human beings, because of Sin, are no longer the eternal creatures God intended for us to be. Because of our disobedience to Him we die. No matter what we've accomplished in our lives, it will all fade away. It's of no consequence when it comes to eternity - it can't earn us a place in heaven. Thus, while in the lyrics of the song "Nothing Lasts Forever" the picture is given of a brighter and more hopeful day tomorrow because "nothing lasts forever," the reality is that we human beings don't last forever, either. One could go so far as to say that "nothing lasts forever" because, inevitably we die and all our earthly problems come to an end.

It's not God's purpose, however, for us to hear Peter talking about the mortality of mankind, as much as it is for us to hear that God's Word never, ever changes or fades away. While everything else around us fails and dies, fades away and vanishes, "the Word of the Lord stands forever" (I Peter 1:25). Peter calls that Word of God a "living and enduring Word" (v. 23) which is both written and "made flesh" in our resurrected and ascended Savior Jesus Christ. In the face of the uncertainties of the world, the insecurity of life and health, safety and comfort, peace and hope, there is one thing above all else that is "forever certain" - God's love for us in Jesus Christ, the Word made flesh. His forgiveness in Christ is certain. By faith in Christ it brings us to eternal life.

No matter how things may fade and decay in this world, and no matter that we face death and the decay of our mortal bodies, God assures us that we can have certainty and "forever" in our lives. We can be certain that there is one thing that will last forever - the only thing necessary and needful for hope and promise in our lives - the permanence for all eternity of God's Word. That Word has come to us in all its living power and grace in the Word made flesh in Jesus Christ. Through faith in Him we have the hope and promise of eternal life. Our lives aren't stuck in the mode of "Nothing Lasts Forever," but are invigorated by faith to be "forever certain" of God's eternal love and forgiveness, hope and salvation in Jesus our Savior and Lord.

Prayer: Father, I thank You that You have made known to me the certainty that I am forever Yours in Jesus Christ. You have forgiven me of all my sins, even those I don't even realize I've done, because of Jesus' suffering and death in my place on the Cross. You continue to assure me in the power of His resurrection that I am one of Your dearly beloved children and that nothing in this world can separate me from Your love. I can be forever certain that "nothing lasts forever," not because things change in this world, but because my hope and home is in heaven with You. By the power of Your Word and Spirit, lead me to live my life with that eternal certainty of heaven through faith in Jesus so that I might be bold and confident in my living and witnessing for Him to the people around me. Help me to boldly face whatever challenges may come my way, fearlessly face any dangers that may challenge my safety, and courageously proclaim Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness to everyone, no matter how hostile they might be. In Jesus' precious name I ask all this. Amen.
*****************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 The Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: