Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Hearing The Voice Of Our Master

"Today's Devotion" For April 18, 2006

Read: John 20:10-18; Psalm 91

HEARING THE VOICE OF OUR MASTER

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with Me." (Revelation 3:20)

Years ago, one of the most famous advertisements, seen on television, billboards, in newspapers, and in magazines was for RCA Victor. It advertised "Hi-Fi" equipment manufactured by RCA Victor and was notable for its trademark image of a St. Bernard sitting at the end of a gramophone sound bell. The trademark words accompanying this image went something like this, "The voice of his master," and were intended to emphasize the quality of the sound produced by the company's products.

When I was a child, I remember a television program by the name of , "This Is Your Life." One of the features of the program that always stood out for me was the "voice from behind the curtain" (so to speak), during which time a significant person or persons from the "honoree's" life spoke about something familiar and special in the "honoree's" life. The "honoree" was to try to guess who fit that "voice." What always amazed me wasn't how often the "honoree" knew who was speaking, but how often he or she didn't know.

Obstetricians and pediatricians have long noted that it's important for parents to talk to a baby in the womb. Anecdotal evidence, enough to fill dozens of warehouses I suppose, exists to support this assertion. Pediatric nurses in the nurseries of hospitals have often shared their observations of the soothing, calming effect a mother's voice has for her newborn infant immediately after birth.

Mary Magdalene, like all of Jesus' followers, was devastated by the events that had transpired during the previous four days in Jerusalem. Jesus had been tried and convicted of blasphemy by the Sanhedrin and sentenced to die by crucifixion. Hurriedly buried in Joseph of Arimathea's tomb as the Sabbath was approaching at Friday's sunset, Jesus' body hadn't been properly prepared for burial and some of the women closest to Jesus went to the tomb the morning after the Sabbath had ended to finish its preparation. Horror of horrors! The tomb was empty! Jesus' body was nowhere to be found. "Stolen" was Mary's first thought as she raced to tell the disciples (John 20:1, 2).

Later on, Mary stood outside the empty tomb, hurt, wounded in spirit, and crying. As she looked into the empty tomb she saw two angels in white who asked her why she was crying. Even seeing the angels didn't seem to give Mary a clue to the truth. Her response, "They have taken my Lord away and I don't know where they have put Him," shows her thoughts and feelings were all in a jumble. As she turns away she sees Jesus, but doesn't recognize Him. He, too, asks her why she was crying and who she was looking for. Her only response is, "Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have put Him, and I will get Him." To this, Jesus said one word, "Mary."

Suddenly, all the pain and anguish, horrible memories and sorrow were blown away. "Rabboni!" - "Teacher" - flies off Mary's lips. She is overjoyed and filled with hope as she reaches for Him. She knew His voice. Even though she didn't recognize Him (and Biblical scholars have long said Jesus' appearance must have been changed by His resurrection), she knew His voice. It was a voice of hope, peace, joy, comfort, love, and forgiveness. It was the voice of her Lord and Savior, the voice of the "Master," who had shed His life's blood as the once and final sacrifice for the sins of the world - her's included.

Through the power and presence of God's Word and Spirit in our lives of faith, we, too, as Mary did, recognize the voice of our Lord and Master, our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus. In the midst of a world full of turmoil, pain, suffering, hatred, destruction, and death; amidst the din of angry voices full of hatred, scorn, derision, and lies, the redeemed in Christ hear His voice and follow Him. Jesus, Himself, the Good Shepherd, tells us that "My sheep hear My voice; I know them, and they follow Me" (John 10:27). As we hear His voice through the din and tumult of this world, we are uplifted and encouraged in our lives of faith. Jesus words, "If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with Me" (Rev. 3:20), give us hope and peace in the midst of the world's troubles. As His dearly beloved children, hearing the voice of our Master, we boldly step forward in faith to serve Him and others in His name - sharing the Good News so that others might also "hear the voice of their Master" as well.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, Your suffering, death, and resurrection bring hope and peace into my life as I face the horrible things that Sin does in the world. Thank You for sending Your Word and Spirit into my life that I might know Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness. Above all, help me to always listen for Your voice and, hearing it, be an obedient servant and witness of Your Good News to the world around me. Guide me and strengthen me in my faith that I may never be stopped in my sharing of Your love and forgiveness by my fears and the threats of the world. By Your grace and blessing You have declared me Your redeemed and restored child - a child of my Father in heaven. Let my every word and action be acceptable in Your sight and a true witness to Your love and redemption for the world. Hear my prayer, precious Savior. Amen.
********************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 The Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: