Monday, April 17, 2006

A Glorious And Saving Message To Share

"Today's Devotion" For April 17, 2006

Read: Job 19:25-27; Matthew 28:16-20

A GLORIOUS AND SAVING MESSAGE TO SHARE

"I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh will I see God." (Job 19:25, 26)

Well, here we are, the morning after Easter. As I look out the kitchen window I see a bright, sunshine filled day. It's still cool; I expect it will be a bit warmer later. The three of our children still left at home have the day off from school and my wife has the whole week off from teaching as she has an Easter break. I have some things to do today, but nothing that I have to hurry to complete (except, of course, this devotion:>). All in all, it's just another day, even though it's the day after Easter.

I'm quite certain, however, that such was not the case for Jesus' disciples the day after the first Easter. They had heard from the women who had found the tomb of Jesus empty. Mary Magdalene had reported a strange tale of meeting a "stranger" in the area of the tomb who had called her name, "Mary," in that familiar way that Jesus had when He had always addressed her She was telling everyone that Jesus was alive!

And then came the accounts of Peter and John, who upon hearing the news from the women raced to the tomb to check out the story. What they found was that Jesus was, in fact, no longer in the tomb. On top of that, Peter reported having an angel speak to him and tell him He had arisen according to His promise! That same evening, while the disciples were locked away, fearful of the religious authorities, Jesus appeared to them. Sharing His peace with them and breathing the Holy Spirit upon them, He commissioned them to get out and tell everyone the Good News of forgiveness in Him (John 20:21,22).

In addition, on the first day after that first Easter, there also came the account of the disciples who had just raced back to Jerusalem from Emmaus. Traveling from Jerusalem to Emmaus the night before, they had encountered a stranger on the road. While they were walking He saw their crestfallen expressions. He asked them about their obvious discomfiture. They discussed with Him the events of the past few days and He shared the Scriptures with them concerning those events. Inviting Him to stay with them for the night they sat down to eat. As their guest, He was asked to break the bread and give the blessing. As He did so, they realized the stranger was their Lord Jesus Christ Himself. At that point He disappeared from their sight and they immediately raced back to Jerusalem (late at night - not a safe of wise thing to do) to bring the news to the disciples.

What a first day after Easter that must have been for the Apostles and all the other disciples of Jesus! The events of the previous day were no doubt sending waves of relief and joy, anxiety and despair, thanksgiving and fear undulating over and through them with great intensity. They had seen Jesus alive! But was it really Jesus? Was it a ghost as Thomas said it must have been because he didn't believe their accounts? Uncertainty was no doubt overwhelming faith. What was happening? Who's playing these "games" on us? Why is this going on? What should we make of all of this?

All in all it can be reasonably asserted that the first day after Easter nearly two thousand years ago was a day full of conflicting emotions and incredible reports. What had happened since the previous Sunday when Jesus had entered into Jerusalem was unprecedented in the annals of the history of God's people. To hear that He was truly alive was almost too good to be true! The doubts and fears the disciples had experienced over the past week were struggling with the new waves of joy, peace, faith, and hope that were tugging at their hearts. Resurrection! It had happened! Could it really be believed? What did it all mean? Certainly the first day after that first Easter wasn't a quiet or "normal" day as we're experiencing today.

What it does mean for this day, however, is that we have glorious and saving message of forgiveness and hope to share with the world. It's a message that needs to be proclaimed on a daily basis as people face the intense injustices that permeate society (whether in our courts or in our communities), disregard for human life and dignity, starvation and homelessness, and a host of other societal maladies that degrade God's gift of life because of Sin. With joy and confidence our Lord not only calls upon us to share Job's confession, "I know that my Redeemer lives...," but He also gives us the comfort and power of His Holy Spirit so that we can confidently and joyfully share the message and power of His resurrection for the salvation of the world. As we live by faith in the risen Christ, we are filled with His peace and joy, His forgiveness and love in such great quantities that we just can't keep it to ourselves. He is risen! His people cry. He is risen indeed! Hallelujah! His Church proclaims. And the people said, "Amen!"

Prayer: Father, I thank You for the marvelous grace and mercy You shower upon me in Christ Jesus every day of my life. Even when I fail You miserably because I give in to Sin and unbelief, You nevertheless shower me with Your grace and blessings, touching me with Your presence through Word and Sacraments, and offer me Your free and certain forgiveness in my risen Savior Jesus Christ. Strengthen my faith, Father, today and every day that I might boldly and proudly proclaim the glorious message and meaning of Jesus' resurrection to everyone I meet. Help me by Your almighty power to live fully in Your forgiveness and confidently in Your love that I may never shy away from living for Jesus and sharing Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness with others, even to the point of death. Because Jesus lives, I know that I will live also with You in heaven and in this I have true peace, confidence and hope. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
*****************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 The Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: