Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Those Darned "Thorns In The Flesh"

"Today's Devotion" For August 22, 2006

Read: II Corinthians 12:7-10; Philippians 3:1-11

THOSE DARNED "THORNS IN THE FLESH"

"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness." (II Corinthians 12:9)

The longer I live the more I become aware of the weaknesses of the human body. I've struggled for years with my weight, even having gastric bypass surgery a couple of years ago, and still haven't won the "battle of the bulge." The excessive weight I carry around has a terribly negative effect on my internal organs - heart, liver, kidneys - and joints. My circulation isn't always the best in my legs and I don't sleep as well as I would like, so that I'm often tired and not able to be as alert as I'd like. Mentally this has an effect as well, and I find myself not being able to focus on things the way I'd like. In some ways one could say I'm a mess. And, I suppose from a certain frame of reference that's true. I prefer, however, to look at the situation as "being in good shape for the shape I'm in."

What I've learned facing these physical and mental challenges is that the endeavors of both my body and mind aren't totally mine to control. I realize that God has blessed me with many talents, gifts, and abilities. At the same time I also realize that I've not always used them to His glory and the benefit of others. My human nature is selfish that way. Sin leads me to put more stock in myself, my ideas, and my abilities than is safe for my relationship with God. As I look at my life I see that I have often been less than humble in my attitude and dealings with others. Despite God's many blessings to me, I have too often failed to use them in service to others. Too often I find I've been quite arrogant and unfeeling, uncaring and unloving toward others. I've also found that, as I face the challenges that my health places in front of me, I have become less self-sufficient and more dependent upon God.

I'm not usually given to telling you about myself - hinting maybe but never so blatantly. But, in this case, I just couldn't point a finger at anyone else. St. Paul's experience with his "thorn in the flesh" is an encouragement for me when I begin to feel sorry for myself because I can't do all the things I'd like to do, nor accomplish all the things I believe I should have accomplished. Each day is a wonderful opportunity to see God's hand at work - when things seem the toughest, whether spiritually, mentally, physically, or financially, He always comes through with just what is needed. As He does so He reminds me of His love for me and His promises to provide what's necessary for life and living. It's a constant encouragement to meet every challenge of each day with courage, hope, strength, and purpose, because God's "grace is sufficient" and His "power is made perfect in weakness."

All of us experience times where we need to be brought up short by our Father in heaven because we're ignoring Him and going our own way. Our sinful arrogance and self-reliance - much encouraged by our culture - so often leads us to think and act as if we don't need God. It's our downfall and the backdoor through which Sin keeps building the wall of separation between us and God. It's at these times and in such circumstances that those "darned thorns in the flesh" become God's blessings to us. By faith in Jesus as our Savior and Lord we are God's redeemed and blessed children. We have a marvelous, wonderful story to tell others about His marvelous grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness purchased for all humanity with Jesus' blood on the Cross. It's those "darned thorns in the flesh" that are reminders to us that we need God's love and that through Him alone do we have the strength to live life to the full.

Prayer: Father, I have to confess that all too often I depend more upon myself than You when it comes to how I live my life and meet the challenges that I face daily. Sin has that very challenging letter "I" in it - it's the letter I to which I gravitate when it comes to living my life and accomplishing things. Yet, without Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness anything and everything I do means nothing because it doesn't serve You or others in Jesus' name. Forgive me, gracious Father, for my selfishness and self-dependence.

By the power of Your Word and Spirit and the washing of my Baptism keep me ever mindful that You have made me Your very own child and an heir of eternal life in Jesus. Help me to remember each day that those "darned thorns in the flesh" that affect my life are Your loving and gentle reminders to me that my life is good only when You are in it. Let me use those "darned thorns in the flesh" as encouragement to share Your love with others so they too might depend on Your love in Christ; in whose precious name I pray. Amen. *******************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2006 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: