Monday, August 07, 2006

Getting Away With "Murder?"

"Today's Devotion" For August 7, 2006

Read: II Samuel 11:26-12:15; Psalm 32

GETTING AWAY WITH "MURDER?"

"Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not cover my iniquity. I said, 'I will confess my transgression to the Lord-and You forgave the guilt of my sin.'"(Ps.32:5)

Most of us have heard the old accusation, "He got away with 'murder.'" Often that statement is applied to situations where one child seems to get more leeway on their behavior than a sibling might. "He (or she) just gets away with 'murder,'" has often been heard around office coolers when people gossip about the apparent impunity with which another co-worker can act when others are not allowed to act in the same way. Of course, the same sentiment has been registered when someone accused of an actual murder has been exonerated of the charge even though that person is guilty.

Can there be any doubt that if we could all "get away with 'murder'" we would? No one wants to be held accountable for their actions - it's just not part of our sinful human nature. If we can hide from our sins, hide our sins from others, or blame someone else for our behavior, our natural tendency is to do just that. Adam and Eve did that very thing when they tried to hide their sin and guilt for disobeying God in the Garden of Eden. Among myriad examples of such behavior in Scripture, King David's adultery with Bathsheba and her subsequent pregnancy led David to orchestrate the death of her husband, Uriah the Hittite, at the forefront of battle, stands out as a truly aggregious example of "getting away with murder." And, of course, being the king, David could hide his behavior and actions from everyone - except himself and God.

Except, perhaps, for those persons who are truly "anti-social" - such people seem to have no consciences at all - most people can't run away from their actions. Their guilty consciences trouble them for most of their lives. Physical maladies, mental instability, and depression are often the result of unresolved guilt and unacknowledged sin. What's more, if people don't acknowledge God, they're stuck with the consequences of their behavior with no hope for resolution. At the same time, even those who acknowledge God, try to hide their behavior and guilt from Him - an exercise is futility and an added burden that kills hope and peace in one's life.

Rather than being burdened with "getting away with 'murder,'" God calls us to repentance and promises His grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness for all who repent and believe His promises. David's guilt weighed heavily upon him and his behavior had dire consequences for his family's and his lives. Yet, upon the urging of the prophet, Nathan, David, by God's grace and blessing, was led to repentance and granted God's peace and forgiveness. While the consequences of his behavior were still to be felt, David knew he was no longer alone - God had declared him forgiven and loved - and he could go on with his life of service to God and others.

So also is it for all who trust in God's promises in Jesus Christ. By faith in Jesus we are assured that our sins are forgiven and that our hope is in heaven with the Lord. We are confident, by faith in Christ, that God is ready and willing to forgive us of all our sins when we turn to Him in repentance and faith. We are assured that there's nothing, no sin, no danger, no trouble, nor any power or circumstance outside of ourselves that can take us away from God's love in Christ (Romans 8:38, 39). By God's grace, and in His great mercy, we can be certain that no one, especially His children, is "getting away with 'murder.'" Everyone will ultimately be held accountable for their sins - with God's promised forgiveness in Christ granted unequivocally to those redeemed by faith in Christ.

Prayer: Gracious Father, I thank You that You don't allow me to "get away with 'murder,'" but that You call me to account for my sins through my conscience and the power of Your Word and Spirit. Your Word convicts me of my sins and shows me my need for my Savior, Jesus. Your Spirit continues to work in my heart to keep me focused on You and to guide me out of the morass of Sin which would blind me to Your grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness. Father, I pray that You would never allow me to hide from my sins, nor try to hide them from You. Rather, let my life be a living example of Your love and forgiveness as I readily acknowledge and repent of my sins in witness to Your amazing grace. Clothe me in the righteousness of Christ, wash me clean from my sin in His precious blood, and fill me with Your Spirit so that I may be a loving and winsome witness of Your salvation in Christ to others. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
****************************************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2006 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: