Wednesday, November 02, 2005

From Death To Life Eternal

"Today's Devotion" For November 2, 2005

Read: Romans 8:18-39; Psalm 116

FROM DEATH TO LIFE ETERNAL

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." (Rom. 8:18)

I have to admit that this particular stretch of the Church Year is especially dear to me. On Monday, known to the world as "Halloween," established in the history of the Christian Church as "All Hallows' Eve," and remembered by many in the Christian community as "Reformation Day," we have the opportunity especially to remember the powerful, redeeming hand of God at work in a sinful world to save people from their sins. The next day, Tuesday this year, is that marvelous celebration of the Church - "All Saints' Day" - when God's people have, over the centuries, rejoiced in the nature of the Holy, Christian (catholic) faith that unites the saints in heaven and on earth in a true chorus of praise and adoration of the God who saves His people from their sins. Today, November 2, is the third day of this magnificent time of prayer and praise for the Church of God as it is remembered as the "Commemoration of the Faithful Departed."

This day is a day in the long history of the Christian Church when God's people have gathered to remember those who have died in Christ during the previous year. It's a celebration of God's grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness in Jesus as it was experienced in the lives of those who have gone to be with Christ. It's a day to remember the many blessings of God experienced by those who, in the past year, have been blessed by God as they've been called home to Him for eternity. It's a day to remember that powerful promises of our Father in heaven, Who has, in Jesus Christ, brought us from death to life in our baptisms and Who, in Jesus Christ, brings us from death to eternal life when He calls us home forever.

St. Paul reminds us of the power of God's redemption when he says that the sufferings we experience here on earth will be greatly overshadowed by "the glory that will be revealed in us" in heaven. Even though we are God's children by faith in Jesus, we live in a world which, like us, is sinful. The world is filled with the violence of crime, war, and hatred. Our lives are constantly being touched by these things, whether physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually. The images and sounds of violence and the hatred that fosters it permeate life. For many people, each day is spent in fear that a stray bullet, a raging driver, a rapist, a child molester, a gang, a drug dealer, or a terrorist (just to name a few) will cause mayhem in their lives or bring death to their doorsteps. As the people of God face these challenges and dangers of life, God brings His assurance that none of these things, nor anything else in all of creation can separate us from His love which is in Jesus Christ our Lord.

As the Christian Church observes the "Commemoration of the Faithful Departed" today it's a good time to remember those of God's saints who have gone before us; who have set an example of faithful living for us to follow. Each time I remember on this day I'm reminded of people of God who have mentored me in their lives by their faithfulness to Jesus and the strength of faith that got them through many dark and difficult times. I'm reminded of a man, Mr. B., a close friend of our family, who was always ready to serve others. I remember he and his wife's willingness to take care of my siblings and me when my mom was in the hospital giving birth to our younger brother. I remember his laughter and joy in serving Jesus with every opportunity he had. He raised a marvelous family who have remained faithful to the Lord and who are raising their children in the same way. They are people of faith and principle, one of whom gives a great deal of himself in service to the nation in the U. S. Army. I remember Mr. B's life of faithful service, motivated by Christ's love for him, which even, at times in my younger years, included providing the discipline I needed at times when my parents weren't around. He's a man I loved and respected all my life - he was never rich; he worked almost until the day he died; in his later years his health wasn't the best but it didn't stop him from serving the Lord by helping others. He went to be with Jesus this past year - Praise the Lord!

Who do you remember this day as the Church remembers the "Faithful Departed?" What did they teach you about faith and hope in Jesus? What did you learn from them about serving the Lord with gladness? What gifts did you receive from them that can help you face the trials and tribulations of life until "the glory that will be revealed in us" is a reality for you as well? What wonderful blessings our memories of the "Faithful Departed" are as we have seen our Father in heaven lead them "from death to eternal life" in Christ.

Prayer: Father, I thank You for all those whom You have placed in my life to be examples of Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in Jesus. I thank You that I've been blessed with example after example of faithful service and living in Christ by those whom You have brought into my life to teach me and guide me in my faith and service to You and others in Jesus' name. Forgive me for the times I allow the burdens and trials of life and the world to take me away from my focus on Jesus and faithful living. Father, I also realize that just as You have placed people like Mr. B in my life to encourage me in faithful living, You also have placed me in the lives of others to do the same. By the power of Your Word and Spirit continue to lead me to faithfulness in my living so that I might be the example of faithfulness You have called me to be for others. In Jesus' precious and most holy name I pray. Amen.
***************************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright ©2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: