Thursday, November 24, 2005

A Thanksgiving Prayer

“Today’s Devotion” For Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 2005

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

May God bless your time together with family and friends this day as our nation celebrates God blessings upon us. I pray that your day will also include a time to worship, either in the congregation of believers or with family and friends gathered in prayer and praise of God’s goodness.

Please pray with me today, as well:

Gracious and good Father, Creator of all things, Provider of every good and perfect gift, and the One who loves us so much that He sent His One and Only Son, Jesus Christ to redeem me from the power of Sin, Death, and the devil, I give You humble and hearty thanks this day for every blessing of body and soul You have given me in my life. Even when things are the hardest, You are there. When all hope seems to go out the window, You are there. Your loving hand is always present in Your Word and in my Baptism to guide me in Your paths and lift me up into Your loving and protecting arms.

Father, I’m grateful for my home and family, my friends and community, and all the blessings of freedom and plenty that You’ve showered upon me and the nation. I’m especially grateful that You have raised up faithful people to share Your Word, administer the Sacraments, and encourage me in my growth in faith. I’m especially grateful that You have raised up brave and courageous souls to protect this land and to fight for the peace and freedom of people all over the world. Keep them safe from all harm and danger as they face terrorists and other evildoers so that others might know peace, freedom, justice, and, especially, religious freedom.

I thank You, Father, for all those whom You have sent to share the Good News of Jesus to a lost and dying world. Continue to bless those in our armed forces who touch the lives of people halfway around the world with the Good News of Jesus in their words and deeds. Strengthen their faith and keep them strong in You that they may never falter in their service or fail in their duties.

Thank You, Father, for those who lead filled with Your wisdom and love. Help them to be continuously seeking to serve others in Your name, to hear and grow in Your Word, and to stand up for truth and justice no matter the personal cost. Be with the President, Vice President, the Cabinet, the Congress, the Supreme Court, the Governors of our various states, and all others who seek to lead me and my neighbors, that they may seek Your wisdom and Your Will so that justice and freedom might continue to be at the center of our lives together.

Bless those who are hurting in any way, dearest Father. Be with those who minister to their needs, that they might do so with joy, peace, commitment, and love. Strengthen those who serve such needs by the power of Your Word and Spirit that they might continue to be a blessing.

Father, I have so many blessings and gifts from You for which to be thankful. I can’t name them all, for I truly don’t even realize all of them. Give me a grateful heart that I may live always in Your love, receive Your gifts with a gracious heart, filled with Your joy and peace in Jesus. Above all, I thank You for the gift of faith in Jesus Who suffered and died for my sins, and rose again that I might have eternal life with You in heaven. In Him my sins are forgiven and I stand before Your throne of grace righteous and holy, covered in His blood and righteousness. In gratitude and faith, Father, lead me to greater service to You and others so that my “light” might shine before the world and others might glorify You in all things. Thank You once again, dear Father, for everything You have done for me. In Jesus’ precious name I pray. Amen.
**************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright ©2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: