Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Out Of Suffering Comes Hope

"Today's Devotion" For November 22, 2005

Read: Romans 5:1-5; Psalm 42

OUT OF SUFFERING COMES HOPE

"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Rom. 5:3-4)

I don't know about you, but when it comes to suffering I'm a "wimp." I flat out don't like things being tough, going wrong, hurting physically, emotionally, psychologically, mentally, or spiritually. Perhaps you have some of the same feelings. What bothers me the most when such suffering comes my way is the loss of control I feel. Then, when I look beyond myself and see the suffering of others, I feel even more helpless, because I'm even less likely to be able to control what happens to them.

Yet suffering and difficulties are the stuff which put the "stiff" in our spines and strengthen us for the journey ahead. We have the word of a number of witnesses whose firsthand experiences lend a great deal of credibility to the idea that suffering and difficulties are essential for our growth, especially in our relationship with God. St. Paul knew a great deal about suffering, including facing persecution and his ultimate martyrdom in Rome. He could say from personal experience that we can "glory in tribulations." Dr. Martin Luther once said that "Affliction is the best book in my library." His work during the Reformation put him in constant danger and made a lot of enemies who often sought to kill him. C. H. Spurgeon, the great British preacher, once noted that "The greatest earthly blessing that God can give to any of us is our health, with the exception of sickness." Of course, as we contemplate these words of wisdom from these servants of God we might have some question about their sanity.

But don't question for too long. They knew what they were talking about. They understood suffering and what could be accomplished because of it. They knew, as do we, that Christians aren't promised a life that's free from suffering, persecution, illness, disease, hatred, anger, or pain (to name just a few of life's troubles). These things are a real and abiding result of life in a sinful world - a world that chooses to do its own thing rather than obeying God's Will. What Scripture continually reminds us, as do the lives of God's servants, is that God takes suffering - tribulation - and turns it to the good of His people. He uses suffering to humble us, to correct us, to strengthen our faith, and to produce patience and character in us. Above all, through suffering - through tribulation - God leads us by His Spirit, through faith in Jesus, to that which defeats all hardship and suffering - hope in Christ.

There's an old saying that applies here that's worth remembering. It goes like this: "When you're flat on your back, the only way you can look is up." When things are going wrong in our lives and we don't feel like we can take any more, by faith we are led to "look up" the source of our deliverance - our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is our source of hope in the midst of despair, oppression, suffering, and all the ravages of Sin in the world. Strangely enough, welcoming suffering into our lives is a good thing, because it reminds us to "look up" to God for help, not down to wealth, health, and independent thinking. Jesus Christ is our sure and only source for true hope, which He won for us on the Cross when He poured out His life's blood to cleanse us from our sins. Forgiven, we stand before God's throne of grace because of Christ and rejoice that we belong to God. He has called us by name; we are His. God's love abounds in our lives and brings hope out of suffering so that we might have life to the full.

Prayer: Father, forgive me when I fail to pay attention to Your work in my life. Too often I let the troubles and tribulations of life lead me away from Your love and purpose for my life. I allow myself to get overwhelmed by the tribulations of living in a sinful world as one of Your redeemed children. It's easy for me to wallow in self-pity, rather than rejoicing that in the midst of every trial and trouble, You are there to lift me up and carry me in Your loving and protecting arms. Fill me, gracious Father, with the hope that comes when I turn my suffering over to You and receive Your forgiveness and love in Jesus. Let my life be a true reflection of the hope I have in Christ so that I might be an effective witness to Your gift of hope in the face of suffering. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright ©2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: