Friday, February 25, 2005

Living In Safety and Security

"Today's Devotion" For February 25, 2005

Read: II Timothy 4:1-18
Psalm 30

LIVING IN SAFETY AND SECURITY

"The fear of man brings a snare. But whoever trusts in the Lord shall be safe." (Pr. 29:25)

Well, it seems as if diplomatic efforts have failed. According to today's news reports, Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed the agreement that will send nuclear fuel to Iran for its new nuclear power plants. One part of the world is fearful that Iran will use the spent fuel rods to somehow manufacture nuclear weapons material despite whatever safeguards the Russian agreement puts on them. Of course the Iranian government claims no such aspirations--gaining nuclear weaponry--but another group of nations isn't so sure. As I listened to various talk shows and news reports today, there was a palpable fear that Iran could very well be on its way to wreaking havoc in the world with more than just its exportation of terrorism.

The world around us is often held hostage to fear. Because of the things that people choose to do to each other, fear is very much a part of living. In Milwaukee, where I live, the murder rate has already exceeded last year's rate, which had been the lowest in 20-years or so. Some people are afraid of the Police Department because the beating of a man back in November by off-duty police officers hasn't been solved as yet. At the same time, our troops in Iraq are facing mounting insurgency, as the insurgents do their best to sow fear among the civilian populace. As I read these and other accounts of people's security and safety being challenged, it becomes very evident that what the Proverbs say, "The fear of man brings a snare," is really very true. When we fear what others can do to us, might do to us, or will do to us, our attention turns away from God and to ourselves and those whom we fear. Such fear gives Sin and those who would bring us harm, control over our emotions, our thinking, and, often, even our lives. This is how Satan does his work as he continues to try to pull God's people away from Him.

St. Paul echoes the thoughts of the Proverb (29:25), when he encourages Timothy to be diligent, in good times and bad, in his proclamation of the Gospel and his faithfulness to God. By the power of God's Word and Spirit, we are able, just as Timothy, to focus on God and not be distracted by the world's attempts to hold us in its grasp. Paul, himself, knew what it was to be assailed by fear on every side and be able, with the Lord's help to overcome it and stay focused on God's love and forgiveness in Jesus. He writes, "But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me...And I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion (2 Tim. 4:17). Moreover, Paul also speaks confidently of Jesus' continued presence and deliverance, no matter what was to come, "And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom" (2 Tim. 4:18). With St. Paul, we, too, understand that living in safety and security means focusing on God's love for us in Christ. It means knowing beyond any doubt that no matter what others might do to us, nothing can separate us from His love.

Prayer: Father, thank You for reminding me that being afraid of what others might do to me is of no consequence. As You hold me in Your almighty arms, I know for certain that nothing can pull me away from Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in Christ. I'm safe in Your arms from everything that would prove harmful to me in body and soul. Though I may experience physical distress or harm in my life at the hands of others, I'm certain that nothing can take me away from Your love. Help me to be a faithful and courageous witness of Your forgiveness and love in Christ to the world around me, so that others might release their fear of others and trust in You for all things. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
*****************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: