Saturday, February 26, 2005

Living According To God's "Worldview"

"Today's Devotion" For February 26, 2005

Read: Titus 2:1-15
Psalm 111

LIVING ACCORDING TO GOD'S “WORLDVIEW”

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments. His praise endures forever." (Ps. 111:10)

I was listening to a discussion on the radio yesterday afternoon. It was a talk show where people were calling in and discussing issues of war and peace, the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan, politics in general, national security, terrorism, and a host of other, related ideas and circumstances. I'm always struck by the myriad of opinions and conceptualizations about the reality of life as we know it in our nation and the world. I was struck, as was the show's host, that a caller's concern that peace at all costs is preferable to liberty and freedom. This particular caller used Jesus, Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. as proponents of peace above liberty and freedom. As far as Gandhi and Dr. King, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to agree with the caller, but I can certainly say that I'm certain that Jesus didn't think in terms of earthly peace as the caller implied.

The reality of life on earth, where Sin abounds, is that there will be wars and rumors of wars as long as the earth exists (Mt. 24:6) according to our Lord Himself. What causes the most grief between people, it seems to me, is the completely different worldviews that exist between Christians, adherents of other religions, and non-believers. Non-believers and some Christians hold that there is a sharp divide between the secular and the sacred. The two shouldn't mix and one has no bearing on the other. For those who adhere to other religions such as Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, and Hinduism (to name a few), life revolves around their religious beliefs unless they are a part of a more "secularized" branch of their religions. We see aspects of that type of worldview playing out in the development of Afghanistan and Iraq. It's certainly evident in the "theocracy" developed in Iran. To a certain degree, such an approach to community and national living puts God's people to shame because, as some writers have been pointing out quite vigorously of late, Christians tend to compartmentalize the sacred and the secular, as if they have no connection whatsoever.

Paul's instructions to Titus point to a completely different approach to Christian living and a worldview that sees life through God's eyes. Such a worldview is a result of the "fear of the Lord," and a "good understanding of His commandments" (Ps. 111:10). God's wisdom leads us to know the forgiveness of all our sins through the suffering, death, and resurrection of Christ Jesus. His wisdom assures us that we are free to live in a loving relationship with God. His wisdom assures us that His peace is upon us and we're no longer His enemies and in bondage to Sin, but His dearly beloved children, free to live with Him and for Him in all of life. Holding to God's worldview we live out His love for us in all aspects of life as we live, work, and witness to people of all beliefs and worldviews. To live in a free and saving relationship with God, at peace with Him, is to live at the same time in the world, but not be of the world. Living according to God's “worldview,” our speech, our actions, our work habits, our responses to others, regardless of their actions toward us, and how we take care of ourselves and all of God's gifts means living undifferentiated "secular" and "sacred" lives. There's no better witness for Christ, nor any greater influence for good in this world.

Prayer: Father, it's quite obvious to me that I'm susceptible to separating certain parts of me life from Your control. Following the leading of the world, it's very easy to slip into a "secular" mode, as if my whole life isn't lived in Your presence. While I may "go to sleep" on You and ignore Your commandments, I'm so very grateful that You never "sleep" and are always there to lift me up when I'm foolish, and keep me encourage me when I'm afraid to live for You. You have established Your peace with me through the ultimate sacrifice of Christ Jesus my Lord and Savior. It's His blood and righteousness, and not my life and living, that have brought Your peace and freedom into my life. Help me to live my life, as Paul encourages Titus to live an teach, so that others might see in all my actions, words, and living, that I am Your child and that Christ has died for all. In His precious name I pray. Amen.
***************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: