Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Only Thing Left Is To Trust In The Lord

"Today's Devotion" For February 9, 2006

Read: Psalm 46; Psalm 91

THE ONLY THING LEFT IS TO TRUST IN THE LORD

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5, 6)

One of the most challenging issues of life is not being in control of every circumstance. I don't know about you, but I like to have control. Some people have even suggested that I'm a "control freak." Regardless of the accuracy of such perceptions, the truth is that I get frustrated when there's no way to control what's going on. Whenever that happens one of two things, motivated by my sinful nature, can happen. Either I respond in frustration with excessive vigor or I shut down and get depressed. In either case, the affect on my mental, emotional, and spiritual wellness, not to speak of my relationships with God and other people, is devastating.

This morning our older son, Matthew, returned to Marine Corps Base, Twenty-nine Palms, California. He had been home on predeployment leave for the past ten days and is due to return to Iraq in March. As I dropped him off at the airport and said goodbye, I had another of those, "I'm not in control" moments. He's scheduled to return in October, God willing, but there are no guarantees. While that's true of every situation where our loved ones depart from us, as time goes by I find that it becomes more pronounced when it entails a hostile place and armed conflict. I'm not in control. It's not possible. Only God's hand can do what must be done and will be done.

There is no other circumstance quite like seeing an offspring head off to war. While one can intellectually recognize that our loved ones - children, spouses, relatives, and friends - are subject to all sorts of dangers every day - disease, car accidents, violent crime - it seems to me that none of these has the same impact as knowing a child (or a spouse) is going off to a hostile place where bullets, bombs, and explosives punctuate the life of the people every day. I'm not discounting the feelings of doubt and fear that enter into the lives of the families of policemen and firefighters; what is most disconcerting about the circumstances of war is that our loved ones are gone for long periods of time (months, years as opposed to an eight-hour shift), completely out of touch (even with the internet and modern communications). We see them when we see them, and there's nothing more that can be done about it.

It's in such circumstances that one really begins to understand that "the only thing left to do is to trust in the Lord." He promises to send His angels to watch over us and keep us safe as we walk with Him each day. He promises to "cover (us)"with His feathers and under His wings (we) will find refuge" (Ps. 91:4a). He assures us that He is faithful and that He will be our "shield and rampart" (v.4b). Our Lord promises us that we have nothing to fear, whether it be the forces of darkness or the evil that would plague our lives; whether we face war and pestilence or scorn and ridicule, His presence is with us and His love uplifts us.

Some of the more encouraging words of comfort and strength in Scripture come to us in Psalm 46. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea..." (Ps. 46:1, 2). The Psalmist goes on to talk about the great deeds of God in the earth on behalf of His children and finishes with the reminder and the promise: "The Lord almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge" (v. 11).

No matter what we face in life, nor how "out of control" life might seem to be for us, God is still in control. He never leaves us or forsakes us. Not only are we always in the palm of His hand, with His angels watching over us, but so are all our loved ones. Our prayers are always that God would send His angels to protect our loved ones, send His Spirit to keep them in faith and a loving relationship with Him, and remind us that no matter the circumstances we or our loved ones may experience "the only thing left to do is trust in the Lord" with all our heart. It brings an incredible sense of peace and joy to our lives and chases frustration and worry away.

Prayer: Father, thank You for Your great love for me in Jesus. You send Your angels to watch over me and my loved ones out of Your marvelous grace and mercy. Even when i forget to trust You and want to wrest control of my life out of Your loving and almighty hands, You continue to lift me up and keep me safe in Your arms. Help me to remember today, and every day, that no matter the challenges I face, no matter the lack of control over my and my loved ones lives and circumstances, that You are always present and providing for every need. Above, help me to live confidently in Your redemption of me in Christ Jesus that I may put away frustration and fear and live in You joy and peace. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
***********************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2006 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: