Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Living In Christ - A Daily Challenge

"Today's Devotion" For February 8, 2006

Read: Romans 7:14-25; Galatians 5:16-26

LIVING IN CHRIST - A DAILY CHALLENGE

"For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it." (Romans 7:18b-20)

As I write today, I'm engaging in some personal "therapy," so I ask you to please bear with me. Last night I did something I haven't done in six years of varsity basketball announcing at our children's high school. I jumped on the officiating. At the announcer's table I'm supposed to keep quiet and keep my opinions to myself. It's a place of neutrality, and even though I didn't say anything into the microphone, I did verbalize it a coupe of time loudly enough for one of the officials to hear me. I could try to excuse myself by saying that I've reached a heretofore unknown frustration level with the play of my daughter's team and, in my opinion, the quality of the officiating. Last night I gave voice to that frustration in a way that was embarrassing to others (a few who were aware of what I'd said) as well as me. I humbly apologized for my actions, yet, last night and this morning the whole situation is still plaguing me to the point that I didn't sleep well and was exceedingly short with my dear wife this morning.

Perhaps you know what I'm talking about. Have you ever found yourself so frustrated by things that are out of your control that you lash out, doing or saying "stupid" things? It's been happening to me a lot lately and I'm certain that there's some "spiritual sifting" going on - Sin and Satan are doing their best to frustrate me, and, unfortunately, I seem to be cooperating. Perhaps you've noticed that in yourself from time to time. It's the "what to do about it" that's the real challenge. I don't like what I've done or how I've been feeling. I'm not happy that I've said or done things that were disrespectful or hurtful to others - loved ones or others. The clue to the solution comes in the word "SIN" - there are a lot of "I's" in these two paragraphs - for it's not about "ME" but rather about how God uses me, and you, to glorify Him and honor Him as we live for Him and share His love with others through our words and actions.

When our actions and words fail to honor God and reflect His love to others, the effects on us can be, to say the least, horrible. When we let our sinful nature and the world around us get under our skin and we react to it rather than responding to God's love, grace, and mercy the results are not very becoming to us. Certainly they are not a reflection of God's love, nor do such actions or words honor Him. On top of all that such behavior only serves to put other people down and, if it doesn't bother you or me, then we've really got a problem with our relationship with God.

St. Paul often writes about the temptations and challenges that plagued him in his life as an apostle and disciple of Jesus Christ. As he strove to live in Christ he was painfully aware of Sin living in him and working to lead him to live contrary to God's will. Certainly, as we read his words in Romans 7 and Galatians 5, we recognize those very same challenges and temptations in our own lives as well. It's so very easy to act like everyone else. It's really easy to talk about what it means to be a Christian example to others - quite another to carry it out without fail and a daily basis and every circumstance of life that we might face.

There is great comfort in Paul's words when we face our failures to be good examples of those who are in Christ. As we read them, it's not too difficult to see that he, too, was struggling with the power of Sin in his life. Did he have sleepless nights because of things he'd said or done that hurt others? I'm guessing he did or he wasn't human. Did he feel frustrated that he couldn't control things? No doubt he did (cf. II Corinthians 12:7-10). It's one of the realities of life that Sin affects our world for ill and we can't avoid it.

Thankfully, in the face of our sins, in Christ there is forgiveness and strength to overcome them. In Christ we can be certain that our sins are forgotten by God for Jesus' sake - in His forgiveness He no longer remembers them. While we might continue to dwell on our sinful failures to serve God, in His forgiveness of our sins He declares that He does not. We are the ones who need to truly understand that repenting and trusting in God's forgiveness for us in Christ means that we, too, need to "forget it" and move on, both personally and in our dealings with others.

Each day that challenge to live in Christ and the forgiveness of sins looms large. Each day we face circumstances which lead us to do or say things we know we shouldn't be doing - yet we do them anyhow. In each of our lives we are faced with circumstances over which we have no control leading to frustration and saying and doing things which are not representative of a child of God. And, each day, in every circumstance, in the face of all challenges, problems, difficulties, and temptations, our heavenly Father sends us His love through His Word and Spirit so that we migh know His forgiveness and be comforted in His arms. Living in Christ is certainly a daily challenge. It's also a marvelous blessing and brings peace to our souls and spirits everyday.

Prayer: Father, forgive me for failing to truly represent You in all of my life. Forgive me for lashing out at others in my frustration at not being in control of every circumstance, situation, or other people's actions. Forgive me, also, gracious Father, for my failure to receive Your forgiveness as I often dwell on how I've failed - even losing sleep over it. Help me, by the power of Your Word and Spirit, to turn everything over to You and receive Your forgiveness with joy and peace. Guide my actions and words so that they might not reflect my frustrations but Your love for me and others in Christ. Help me to be a loving and gracious example of Your mercy and peace in Christ so that others might be brought to Jesus by my example. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
***********************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2006 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: