Wednesday, March 15, 2006

God Gives Us What We Need Today

"Today's Devotion" For March 15, 2006

Read: Luke 12:22-34; I Corinthians 15:50-58

GOD GIVES US WHAT WE NEED TODAY

"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the Kingdom." (Luke 12:32)

Will you need to eat today? No doubt. Will you need to drink today? Most certainly. Will these needs cost anything? Of course. Can you be certain you'll have those needs met? Well, that's a little tricky.

Do you have a job - a way to earn a living? If so, great! But, what about those who don't? According to the latest job statistics, the labor market is getting tighter and employers are searching for employees because there are more jobs than people. Yet there are many people still wandering the streets of our cities looking for work because they don't meet the educational or skill qualifications for many of the available work opportunities. Is it possible, do you think, that these folks are worried about where their going to get their next meal or whether they'll have a roof over their heads tonight?

It's not too difficult to understand why people in such circumstances would worry. I've been in such need myself at one point in my life and I can tell you that, no matter how firm my faith was in Jesus, I still worried. So did my wife. Even now, today, as we continue to raise the children still remaining at home and help support, as we are able, those who are in college, the temptation to worry about how the bills are going to be paid or whether the cars are going to start the next day can be intense. In a recent session with my pastoral coach/counselor, I was asked if our son, Matthew's deployment to Iraq with the Marine Corps was playing on my mind. While I said no, as I think about it, perhaps at the back of my mind and deep in my heart there is an element of concern - perhaps even worry - about his welfare, safety, and, for the future, his safe return home.

No doubt most everyone who reads these words can find something with which to relate. Your circumstances may be the same. They may be different. But, there's no doubt in my mind, nor should there be in yours, that every one of us is concerned and, yes, worried about receiving our "daily bread" - everything that's important and essential to life and living. Whether we are poor or wealthy; are working or searching for work, are healthy or facing illness or debilitating disease the specter of worry still rears its ugly head.

In the face of such doubt and worry, our Lord Jesus Christ brings words of hope and comfort. He encourages us to take heart in the face of our worries by reminding us that life is greater that the sum of its parts. Food sustains life, but it's not life itself. Clothes protect the body, but they don't give life. A roof overhead gives us shelter from the elements and safety from "predators" but it doesn't breathe life into a body or lift up the soul. He reminds us that our Father in heaven knows precisely what we need, when we need it, and how to supply it. It comes in His time, the right time, and, through faith in Jesus we have the courage to wait for God to give us what we need today.

Above all, God's greatest gift to us, to meet our most critical need, is Jesus Himself. Our heavenly Father wants us to inherit His kingdom - to know and believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that we are His very own, redeemed, restored, and forgiven children in Christ. What comfort and courage we can take when by faith we believe Jesus' words, "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the Kingdom" (Lk. 12:32)! To believe this promise and assurance of heaven is to be free to live for Christ and serve Him by reaching out to others. To believe this promise and live in its assurance is to not be wedded to our possessions and personal desires, but to trust God for life's necessities and reach out in loving compassion to those in need - both physical and spiritual need. Our truest treasure is also our greatest need - heaven - and God has provided it for us in Jesus. He truly does give us what we need today and everyday!

Prayer: Father, I hate to admit it, but I do worry a lot. I've even come to the conclusion that I worry about things I'm not even aware I'm worried about. Your Word and Spirit truly convict me of my lack of faith and trust in You and Your promises to me. At times I take many of Your blessings for granted; at other times I yearn for things that aren't necessary for my life and living. My sinful heart and mind too often focus on things that are nonessential and selfish rather than on Your blessings to me so that I might be a blessing to others. Forgive me, Father, for Jesus' sake and lead me to greater faith and trust in You and Your promises to me. Lead me to be a faithful witness to Your love and blessings so that others might see and have hope in Your goodness and love as well. Hear my prayer, gracious Father, for Jesus' sake. Amen.
***********************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: