Tuesday, March 14, 2006

No Condemnation In Christ

"Today's Devotion" For March 14, 2006

Read: Romans 8:1-11; Psalm 11

NO CONDEMNATION IN CHRIST

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus..." (Romans 8:1)

In recent days a senator from my home state has publicly called for a censure of the President of the United States for sanctioning "illegal domestic wiretapping" in the war on terrorism. The senator's stance is that any type of wiretapping without a warrant is illegal and even the President's war time powers don't give him any such authority. Obviously there's great debate on this issue with the President's party condemning it out of hand and the senator's party approaching it cautiously. The current polarization of the Congress, the Administration, and the nation over political, ethical, and moral issues seems to be lending itself to a continuous stream of efforts to condemn someone, for something, for any reason or none at all because someone doesn't agree with or doesn't like whomever is the target. In essence, it seems quite obvious that there's not a whole lot of love lost or respect for those with whom one disagrees.

Of course we shouldn't be surprised at this type of behavior. It's part and parcel of how we live as human beings every day. Our sinful nature tends to lead is in the direction of putting ourselves before others and finding ways to put the other down. Questioning the actions of others is one thing, but Sin also leads us to condemn their intentions as well. A good example of this is found in the example above - the senator is challenging the President's actions while some who oppose the senator's challenge are questioning the senator's motives (regardless of the validity or lack thereof of his contentions) because it appears that he's heading toward a run for the Presidency himself. While we might sit back and point fingers at such things as being wrong-headed, the reality of life and the Sin that nips at our heels everyday is that we do this to each other regularly.

Satan's greatest effort is to get us to forget our own sinfulness and point the finger at others. Between the wiles of Satan and our own sinful nature, it's easy for us to ignore our own sinfulness while pointing it out in others. In so doing sorrow over our sin and repentance of our sinful behavior gets lost in the shuffle. In the end, Sin and Satan lead us before God to stand condemned and worthy of nothing from Him but eternal damnation in Hell, totally and irrevocably separated from Him forever.

Yet God is not "willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance" (II Peter 3:9). Therefore in His great love, mercy, grace, and compassion He took on our flesh and blood in the person and form of Jesus Christ so that we might be saved in Him. By His blood and righteousness we stand before God washed clean from our sins clothed in the holiness and righteousness of Christ. We no longer stand condemned before God, regardless of Satan's accusations and our own disobedience, because Christ has redeemed us and paid the price of Sin for us. God has declared us His own children. He has declared His love and forgiveness to us and confirms that in us through Holy Baptism each and every day.

We are free, therefore, to live each day as a new day full of promise, hope, and opportunities of service. When we feel the weight of the world upon our shoulders because our sins weigh heavily upon us, we are comforted by God's promise in Jesus that we are forgiven and He remembers our sins no more. When others condemn us for not going along with their ideas or buying into their values because they run contrary to God's Word and Will, we don't stand alone for our Lord Jesus is present with us and His Spirit is lifting us up to serve Him faithfully. So, no matter if one is the President of the United States doing what he believes to be right, or the senator challenging his actions and wishing to censure his behavior - at the same time having his intentions impugned - or you and me going about our everyday, ordinary tasks and activities of life and service, if any is in Christ he is a new creation and no longer stands condemned before God. That's great news; it's empowering news; it's news that sets us free - free to know God and His love for us and to love Him and serve Him and others in His name.

Prayer: Father, thank You for sending Jesus to set me free from the curse and condemnation of Sin and Satan in my life. Forgive me for too often forgetting Your compassion and forgiveness that You offer me and confirm for me as I remember my baptism each day. By the power of Your Word and Spirit fill strengthen my faith and trust in You and lead me to daily, heartfelt repentance of my sins so that I may truly live a life that is free to serve You and others in Your name. Help me to avoid the temptation to condemn others for their sins; instead lead me to freely share Your forgiveness and love with them. Let me life be an example of what it means to live free from the condemnation of Sin so that others might see how great Your love and compassion really are. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
********************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how you get the Republican Talking Points out there and call it a "devotion".

There isn't a debate on this issue on a constitutional level, only on a political level. Bush has broken the law. Scholars, judges, lawyers on both sides of the aisle agree.

I doubt that you were very outspoken when Clinton was being impeached for a personal disgression. He should have been censured. Bush should be impeached for the Iraq War alone. This is a rubber stamp congress like none we've ever seen and the Administration is getting away with murder . . . literally if you count the torture it has allowed. We won't see Bush held accountable for any of it, which is ironic considering he ran on "personal accountability." There's a joke for you.

Pastor Boeck said...

Dear Anonymous,

It's always of interest to me that people who criticize often don't have the courage to identify themselves. Not only that, but your comment misses the point.

My first paragraph, to which you are referring in your comments, is intended to do nothing more that to establish that there is a polarization that does, just as you noted, deal with things from a political and emotional level, not necessarily from a constitutional or legal level. However, I would note that your comments also support my point - in my reading and listening I have heard legal scholars, lawyers, Republicans and Democrats condemn the President's actions as illegal. Another group is calling for an investigation, ostensibly to "really figure out if the President truly has the authority he has claimed in this matter. Still others, from both sides of the "aisle" have noted that leaders of both parties, as well as the court that issues the warrants had been informed and nothing was done without their knowledge. Other things I've read and heard find absolutely nothing wrong with the President's actions constitutionally or morally.

What this tells me is that everyone is going to believe their position is the right one. Human nature being what it is, the tendency that I've observed over a half-century of life is that rather than truly talking with one another, people tend to polarize and fight with each other - often in the guise of "civility."

The fact of the matter is, because of our sinful nature, we human beings are always more than ready to get the "upper hand" on those whom we don't like, don't care about, don't agree with, and would like to go away. If we can condemn another for their behavior we'll do so, even though it's not our place. While we can judge another's behavior based on the standards of morality, law, and ethics by which we live as a society, only God has the power to condemn - which is to sentence someone to eternal damnation.

In the end, the point of the devotion still is - and it's not the "Republican talking points" you accuse me of - that in Jesus Christ God has declared that all who believe in Him are forgiven of all their sins and have the hope and promise of eternal life with Him. There are myriad examples in all of life that we can point to that show our need for God's grace and mercy. I just happen to have chosen the current issues of the day which evoke such emotional, and not always rational, responses by so many people. There's no doubt in my mind and spirit as I view such things happening that we are all in need of repentance and turning to God for His forgiveness.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I'd be happy to converse with you personally about any of your concerns. I hope that God will bless you and keep you in His protecting and loving arms through Christ Jesus our Lord.

Pastor Boeck

P.S.: I will admit to only one "prejudice" in regard to this discussion. My son, Matthew, serves as a United States Marine and is currently in Iraq. It's his second tour. What he's shared with me about how things are and what he's been doing doesn't coincide or jibe with anything I've read, heard, or seen in the news. At this point in time, as a retired Navy Chaplain who has served this country with all my heart and being, I pray that we all find a way to get on the same page soon because all this fighting among ourselves only serves to embolden the enemy and continues to ratchet up the price our young men and women are paying. We can debate the "morality" of the situation all we want - but let's do it after we get them safely home. I share this as a parent, a patriot, a citizen, a neighbor, a friend, an officer, and a minsiter of the Gospel.

Anonymous said...

Didn't miss your point at all. I take issue with the way you made your point. The paragraph you wrote to explain what you meant did the job well. The one you used in the devotion was a biased comment. It deserved a biased response.

As for identifying myself, that was just a cheap shot. It has nothing to do with courage. You could be anyone. Everything you say about yourself could be fake. I could just as easily give false info. Such is the nature of the internet.

And having identified myself in the past, I have been called "unpatriotic", a "supporter of terrorists", been told I should be "shot as a traitor" among other descriptions. Those are the nice ones, and those are the ones by the administration itself.

The administration has the power to change the tone of the debate, but even now Chenney is out there using those same accusations in speeches. (Power being the key word here.)So being out there saying "everyone is doing it and everyone is at fault" is too simple and feeds the problem. And that is not worthy of being used as a "devotion".

Holding our government accountable does IN NO WAY "embolden the enemy". Just another way of saying that if you disagree, you support the terrorists. Hogwash. I have friends in Iraq and home from there and some have seen the worst of it. They have said that nothing we do here has made any impression on the fighting there.

Supporting bad policy just to "get on the same page" will not bring your son home. If debate had not been stifled before the war, perhaps your son would not even be there. It sounds like he has been fortunate enough to avoid the worst. God willing that may continue. Many are not that blessed.

It seems something called a devotion could use current situations as examples, without adding to the divisiveness. But perhaps not at this site.

Pastor Boeck said...

Dear Anonymous,

You are correct when you say my response to your anonymity was a "cheap shot." For that I apologize. I realized that after I had published my response and went to re-read it. Since it was late (early am) and I was too tired to go on, I didn't post an apology for it. I also half expected you would not return because almost no one does - most who make any comments are pushing their own agenda and never return (at least in my experience).

I will still disagree with you as to your reading of the devotion. However, if I stated the point better, in your opinion, in my response to you, then I'm grateful for the opportunity you gave me to clarify the point. Certainly I have found in my almost thirty years as a pastor, theologian, chaplain, teacher, husband, father, and generally fallible human being that I am all too susceptible to overstating a point - often to the detriment of the hearers and readers. So I thank you.

In so far as my further response to you - I wore the uniform of our nation for over twenty-five years as a Navy Chaplain, both Active and Reserve, so that I could provide both spiritual counsel and care to the troops as well as the commanders. I lost a number of opportunities because I remained faithful to the principles and faith I believe in and ran afoul of those in authority who didn't agree with me. So, when you speak of (my wording not yours) not being "yes" men, I have some experience in that area (it cost me a promotion and a full career on active duty). So no, I would in no way consider you a "traitor" or "unpatriotic" for your challenges to what you perceive to be wrongdoing by the President and his administration. I consider such statements to be highly suspect. To call someone "traitor" or "unpatriotic" because they disagree on what might be the best course of foreign policy action is a greater "crime" against the prinicples of the Constitution and our right of "free speech" than what the accuser is laying at the feet of the accused.

However, I do reserve the right to challenge those, as you do also, who I believe are challenging in a way that will only serve to further polarize rather than dig out the truth and accomplish the right. But, this isn't something that just happens on the national scene or just in politics - it also occurs in every day life. All too often, as I've experienced life (and from your comments as you have as well) people are quick to "condemn" others because they disagree and each holds that they're right and have "God on their side." In most cases people aren't willing to discuss their differences - they might argue about them at the top of their lungs (as a line from the movie,
"The American President" goes - one of my all-time favorites -"Being an American is hard work. Democracy is hard work. It's someone yelling at the top of their lungs their position on an issue, and you yelling at the top of your lungs your disagreement with them" - a paraphrase, but the gist is there), but they're too often not willing to allow the other person their opinion as well.

You also noted that the administration has the power to frame and change the tone of the debate. I agree, and while I never intended this devotion to engender a political discussion (I only used the examples because they are obvious to everyone) it seems to me that at some point it might be important for others to take charge and "change the tone." It's sort of the old "I won't do until he does" mentality. While I can't change anyone else's mind or their behavior, I can command my own thinking and behavior and not stoop to the level of those whom I believe are acting in a way that is detrimental and contrary to accomplishing what's good and right. From my perspective as a Christian, pointing the finger at others just doesn't "cut the mustard." I have to set the example and do what is pleasing to God, regardless of the actions and attitudes of others.

And, before I forget, it's also my responsibility before God to pray for those who are in authority that they would act in a way that accomplishes His will and purpose for our nation and the world. I do that regularly and I hope you do as well. My prayers for the nation and our leaders is that they will pay attention to His will, seek justice, promote peace and tranquility, and seek the common good, both at home and abroad. I'm not alway certain what that's going to mean, but I trust God knows better than I do (although I have to admit I've argued with Him a great deal).

So here's what I propose. I will, as time allows, continue to be blessed by discussing these things with you if you so desire. If at any time you wish to contact me directly you may do so at the sites and locations in the
"signature" box at the end of my comments. I again thank you for pointing out, that while I didn't intend to "add to the divisiveness"
I did, at least by your estimation and according to your sensibilities. For this I humbly apologise and ask your forgiveness for I've given you offense and hindered the blessing that God may have been offering you through the devotion.

It's my choice also, to put a littel trust in people. You can look me up by googling "Pastor Boeck," "Rev. Richard Boeck," and probably a few others things as well. When you feel comfortable with it, perhaps you'll at least share your first name with me. (I haven't added my photo to the blog because I haven't yet figured out how to shrink the photo I have to the right size.)

God bless your day and your service to others as you seek truth and justice in your life and the life and times of others.

In Christ's Service,

Pastor Boeck

P.S.: Regardless, having served in uniform for so long, I also know that there are differing opinions among soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen when it comes to the effects of the "home front" on their morale and the efforts of the enemy. While I don't want to stifle any debate or challenge to the administration's policies - many of which I have been critical as well, including going to war when we did and how we arrived at that juncture - I still believe that such debate and challenge, when done in a condemnatory, hateful, and derisive manner (denigrating the person holding the highest office in the land to our allies and enemies I believe also denigrates the office he holds as well as the nation he leads; and, yes, the argument can be made, and is being made by many,
that he has already done that - but should we exacerbate the situation or use the "system" -"broken as it may be - to make it better?) ends up giving "aid and comfort to the enemy and further puts our troops in harm's way. Again, while you may disagree with that position, it's one that I believe has a great deal more viability than your friends that have served in Iraq might realize.
***********************************
Pastor Richard Boeck is the author and publisher of “Today’s Devotion,” a brief, daily devotion that brings the grace and love of God in Jesus Christ to bear on the events of the day and people’s lives. If you wish to receive a free subscription please send an email to TodaysDevotion-154@timmreply.com. Please include: Send me "Today's Devotion" in the subject line and your first and last names in the body of the email. You may also access
"Today's Devotion" online at http://todaysdevotion.blogspot.com.If you have any questions you may address them to Pastor Boeck at revrboeck@netscape.net or by snail mail to: “Today’s Devotion” c/o Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr., 3218 N. 48th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53216-3344. ***********************************