Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Tongue - An Instrument Of Progress

"Today's Devotion" For March 18, 2006

Read: Matthew 12:33-37; James 3:1-12

THE TONGUE - AN INSTRUMENT OF PROGRESS

"For by your words you will be acquitted and by your words you will be condemned." (Matthew 12:37)

In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries there was a Roman Catholic French philosopher by the name of Joseph Joubert. He was known for his intellect, his gentleness, his willingness to serve, and his search for virtue. After his death a large body of his written work was discovered which shared his direct, unvarnished thoughts on attaining virtue. Many of these thoughts were published after his death. One that stands out as a commentary that's as applicable to today as any other time in history goes like this: "The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress."

How often don't we find that just the opposite is true for us and for others? People may disagree, but they don't have to be disagreeable in the process. We're not generally intent upon "progress" in an argument or discussion, only victory. "I'm right and your wrong" is very much a reality when issues are debated, questioned, and disputed. Whether we're talking about politics and all the "positioning" that goes on among politicians and the various sides in a controversy or the day to day interactions between us and those we work with, play with, or live with. How often doesn't a "discussion" or "argument" between parents and children result in a "victory" for one or the other (of course, hopefully, for the parents :>) and the relationship between them suffer rather than grow? How often don't husbands and wives "get into it with each other" and end up going backwards in their relationship rather than forward? Of course, part of the dynamics of these situations is the human tongue and how we use it.

For my money one of the most succulent pieces of meat, a veritable gourmet's delight, is calf's tongue. My mother used to prepare it as a special treat (it's a very German food). She would boil it, slice it, and serve it with boiled potatoes. It was a rarity since it wasn't something we could always afford, but when we had it it was always an epicurean delight. I have no doubt, however, that not everyone shares my opinion on the succulence of calf's tongue. That would include my wife and children, who, in fact, as far as I know have never had calf's tongue, and don't feel particularly compelled to try it (although I contend that if they tried it they'd like it) I suppose it's a bit exotic in this day and age, and I think it probably brings up some negative images.

Interestingly enough, the human tongue does much the same thing in people's mouths. It can deal sweetly with others, delivering words of kindness and love. It can also be quite distasteful, delivering hatred, dislike, unkindness, lies, and a myriad of other quite bitter and harmful thoughts formed into words. It's the tongue that betrays our hearts and how we feel and think. Certainly it's our use of our tongues which is the deciding factor as to whether an argument or discussion leads to victory or progress. No doubt the Pharisees were looking to find a way to discredit Jesus and gain a victory as they betrayed their hearts and their hatred for Christ by declaring His was the work of Satan. And, lest we point to strongly at the Pharisees, it's a good thing for us to remember that we also use our tongues in ways that betray our relationship with Jesus by speaking without love and uncaringly to and about others.

Jesus described the acid tongued Pharisees as a "brood of vipers," which is an apt description when you realize that it's that forked tongue which betrays the snake. Of course we'd like to believe we're better than that and above the fray, yet all too often we use our tongues to "slice and dice" so we can get the upper hand on others. Just as Jesus called the Pharisees to repentance, encouraging them to reexamine their hearts and use their tongues to seek forgiveness, so also does His call go out to us as well. We, too, need to be careful of our tongues, lest we fall into the same trap of the Pharisees. Careless words often betray the love we say we have for Jesus, and certainly betray His love for us. And when our tongues are used to tear others down to win an argument instead of finding progress in our relationships, we end up betraying our relationship with Jesus. At the same time, by God's grace and mercy, we are offered the opportunity in Christ to repent of our sins and, receiving His forgiveness and love, turn our tongues into instruments of faith sharing God's peace in Christ with the world.

Prayer: Lord, I know that my tongue gets me into trouble way too often. I frequently don't know when to be quiet. Too often I use it to "get even" with others with whom I am angry or I don't like instead of seeking progress in our relationship. In so doing, I know that I betray Your love for me and my relationship with You. Help me to use my tongue to sing Your praises and tell others of Your love and forgiveness. Help me to use my tongue to come to You in repentance for forgiveness of my sins so that my relationship with You might progress. Let my tongue be an instrument of Your peace as I declare Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness to the world around me. Hear me dearest Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.
********************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2006 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: