Tuesday, December 20, 2005

At Christmas - The Blessings Of Tradition

"Today's Devotion" For December 20, 2005

Read: Isaiah 40:1-8; Psalm 139

AT CHRISTMAS - THE BLESSINGS OF TRADITION

"O Israel, put your hope in the Lord, for with the Lord is unfailing love and with Him is full redemption. He Himself will redeem Israel from all their sins." (Ps. 130:7, 8)

I received a note from a sister in Christ yesterday that touched my heart. She had written to thank me for the blessings she has received through reading "Today's Devotion." She's a widow, and along with so many others in her shoes, both men and women, in this holy season of the year, there's an emptiness and sorrow because their life's partners are no longer with them to celebrate Christmas. Most of us have traditions of Christmas that serve to bind our families together and lend deeper meaning to this solemn feast. When a member of the family is missing, especially when we know that they will never again rejoice and celebrate with us this side of heaven, a sense of sadness can find its way into the heart and take away the real joy that Christmas brings into our hearts. In such times, our traditions of faith at Christmas can serve as a bulwark against the pain and emptiness their absence brings to our hearts.

In Sunday's comic strip "For Better Or For Worse" by Lynn Johnston, grandma and grandpa are looking out the window at the snow coming down. Grandpa remarks, "Darned weather. I can't do anything. I feel so cooped up!" Grandma responds by saying she's going to call their daughter, Elly. Maybe they can do something with her. Grandpa speaks up, "She'll take us somewhere for dinner and then on a tour of the Christmas lights." Then Elly shows up asking if they'd like to do just that. Grandpa responds, "See? I knew that's where we'd be going! I said to Iris, 'Elly's going to take us out to dinner and then on a tour of the Christmas lights!'" Elly responds, "Oh. Well - we could do something else. You could come to our place, or we could go to a movie, or..." "What?" grandpa responds. Elly continues, "I don't want to take you out to dinner and a tour of the lights if you don't want to go!" Agitated, grandpa answers, "Of course I want to go! 'TSK' Just when you start looking forward to something...They try and change the routine!"

For almost two thousand years, Christians have been celebrating the solemn feast of Christmas during this time of year. Over the millennia, traditions have developed among us that serve to remind us of God's love for us as the Word became flesh that first "Christmas Day" in Bethlehem. Those traditions serve as foundation stones to help us stay focused on the birth of Jesus. Those traditions give us consistency and encouragement in spite of the challenges to forget the "reason for the season" posed by the world around us. When those traditions are challenged or they're lost because a loved one is missing from our lives, our lives can become "discombobulated" and anxiety can take the place of joy, peace, and hope.

God's Word to us in such circumstances is, "Comfort, comfort my people" (Is. 40:1). One thing we can always be certain of is God's "tradition" of loving us and offering us His forgiveness of all our sins in Jesus Christ. God's "tradition" never dies; His Word is always sure and certain and "stands forever" (Is. 40:8). King David reminds us of God's consistent love and never failing mercy when he writes in Psalm 139, "O Lord, You have searched me and You know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar" (Ps. 139:1, 2). David goes on to thank God for his unfailing mercy and grace and His continual presence in the lives of His children.

Our traditions at Christmas can be powerful blessings from God which help us to focus on His Word and His promises. Our traditions at Christmas lend us a sense of stability and sameness in a world full of turmoil and strife, helping us focus on the greatest gift of all - God's peace to us in Jesus Christ. Our traditions at Christmas, focused on Jesus' birth and forged in the certainty that God's promises are sure and certain and that He is always with us, give us peace and joy even in the absence of loved ones. Our traditions at Christmas, as they are grounded in God's Word and focused on His love for us, help to strengthen our faith and hope in Him and encourage us in our living as witnesses for Christ to the world around us.

A final note. One tradition at Christmas - which has come under fire as politically incorrect - is wishing others a "Blessed and Happy Christmas" (I personally prefer this to "Merry Christmas"). Personally, it's a tradition, full of meaning and comfort, blessing and hope, which reminds me of grandpa's response above, "'TSK' Just when you start looking forward to something...They try and change the routine!"

Prayer: Father, I thank You for Your consistent and certain love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in my life. It's Your "tradition" to bless me with hope and comfort in the face of the troubles of the world. You continue to provide me with the sure assurance that You are ever present in my life and are always at my side under any and all circumstances. While I may leave You, turn my back on You, and disobey Your Word, You are always there for me, always love and forgive me in Jesus, and seek only the best for me in all things. Guide me by the power of Your Word and Spirit to hold fast to the "traditions of faith," not only at Chritmas but throughout the year, so that I might always be comforted by them no matter what happens in my lfe. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @ 2005 The Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: