Saturday, December 17, 2005

At Christmas - The Glow Of Anticipation

"Today's Devotion" For December 17, 2005

Read: Luke 2:25-35; Psalm 130

AT CHRISTMAS - THE GLOW OF ANTICIPATION

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His Word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning." (Ps. 130:5, 6)

It amazes me, when I stop to think about it, how different Christmas is for me as an adult. When I was a child I couldn't wait for Christmas to come. I looked forward to participating in the Christmas programs at church, the Christmas parties we had at the Lutheran school I attended, the music and caroling, putting up the Christmas tree, seeing the lights put up on the house, visits to and by family and friends, and chomping at the bit to find out what gifts I was going to receive.

As I got older and got a job, my anticipation of Christmas began to change. I still anticipated the Christmas music and caroling, putting up the Christmas tree (now without my father's help), helping to hang the lights on the house, and worship on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I still waited eagerly to visit with my grandparents and other family, but I began to lose my interest in going to visit my parents' friends. While gift-receiving was still high on my list of great things to await on Christmas, the giving of gifts became a "requirement" because I had a job and thus a chore. No matter how much I wanted to give my mother a really great gift for Christmas, shopping for it was another matter.

When I left home for college, my anticipation of Christmas also changed. I couldn't afford to come home from school too often, so Christmas break was a great opportunity to come home, see my family, see my friends, and enjoy the celebration of Christ's birth with those I loved and cherished in my life. Christmas gift-giving was no longer a chore but an anticipated way of letting my family know that I hadn't forgotten them and how much I loved them. I can remember how numb and angry I felt the year I had my car broken into while at work and all the gifts I had for my family stolen. It was my last year at the seminary and I didn't have any money to replace them. I was headed home right after work (from Indiana) and had everything packed and ready to go.

As a parish pastor and single I remember anticipating the special worship services we would hold at the small parishes in Montana and North Dakota. After my Susan and I got married the anticipation of Christmas took on a whole new meaning. I remember the second Christmas of our marriage when I told her we couldn't "go home for Christmas" because I couldn't get leave. She looked me squarely in the eye, put her arms around my neck, gave me a big kiss and said, "Home is wherever we are." Anticipation at Christmas changed for me once again. (This was especially poignant for me when I was away for Christmas during Desert Shield/Storm).

As our children grew, the anticipation of Christmas came to full circle. Watching their eyes light up as the Christmas tree and the decorations were set up was worth waiting for each year. Their eagerness to see what gifts they were receiving at Christmas was a glowing light of anticipation for me as well. Going to church as a family to worship our newborn King, Jesus, was a precious gift to be awaited with eagerness each year, even in the years when I was still a parish pastor and struggling with worship planning for multiple services and other church activities. As our children grew, their outlook and anticipation of Christmas grew with them. In many ways, as they anticipate Christmas this year, with a couple of them no longer in school (one unable to come home because he has no leave this year), a couple in college, and three still at home, each of them is doing so in their own way, from their own "space," experiencing for themselves the different anticipations of Christmas that come to us in life.

At this time in my life, the anticipation of Christmas has again changed. I don't expect our children to be "home" because as they get older "home" will be where they live, work, and play. Their friends are new, their experiences are new, and their opportunities are new. If and when they get married, they will be establishing their own families and homes, and, perhaps, we'll be traveling to visit with them. At this time in my life, my anticipation of Christmas no longer is focused on the things or even places, but the wonderful opportunity to observe once again the solemn feast of Christmas along with my brothers and sisters in Christ the world over.

Simeon, in his old age, rejoiced that he had the precious opportunity to see His Savior, the Messiah, before he died - according to God's promise to him. Simeon lived in anticipation of God's fulfillment of that promise, his soul waiting for the Lord as the Psalmist himself wrote (Ps. 130:5). Simeon lived with eager, but patient, anticipation that God would fulfill His promises to Israel, filled with a longing for the appearance of his Savior that was even more eager than "watchmen wait(ing) for the morning" (Ps.130:6). Simeon's prayer of rejoicing reflects the joy of his anticipation in the Messiah fulfilled and being, finally, at the doorstep of eternal life (cf. Luke 2:29-32).

At Christmas the Holy Spirit fills us with the glow of anticipation - anticipation that awaits the final coming of Jesus on the Last Day. We rejoice with Simeon that our "eyes have seen Your salvation" as we give thanks to God for His gift of His Son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. As we live our lives of faith, the things we anticipate during the Christmas season will change as our lives change. Yet, the one sure and certain reality is that our anticipation of Jesus' coming and return according to God's promises will never change because God's promises are sure. What a wonderful blessing to be able to bask in the glow of anticipation at Christmas as we give thanks for His coming and look forward to His return.

Prayer: Father, I thank You that You fill me with the power and presence of Your Holy Spirit so that I might never lose sight of Your grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness in Jesus. By Your Spirit, in the power of my Baptism, You fill me with anticipation as I approach the celebration of Jesus birth and look forward to His return to take me home forever. Father, I pray that You would fill me with a powerful sense of anticipation in Jesus, just as You filled Simeon, so that Your promises will always be at the forefront of my life and witness to others in Jesus' name. Fill me with the glow anticipation at Christmas so that I might be a beacon and light to the world and glorify You with my life. In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
*******************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @ 2005 The Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: