Tuesday, March 01, 2005

What's In It For Me?

"Today's Devotion" For March 1, 2005

Read: I John 3:13-24
Psalm 6

WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?

"By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." (I John 3:16)

Captain Scott Southworth, Commanding Officer of the Wisconsin National Guard 32nd Military Police Company, just became a father. This is newsworthy because he's a 32-year old, single man, the new District Attorney for Juneau County, Wisconsin, having been elected to that position in November 2004 after having returned home from Baghdad in July 2004. He's the new father of a 10-year old Iraqi boy named Ala'a whom he met at an orphanage run by the Catholic Missionaries of Charity of Mother Theresa. Oh, yes. Before we go on, we also note that Ala'a suffers from cerebral palsy. The story of this coming together of these two people in yesterday's local newspaper notes that there are still a lot of legal obstacles to overcome before Captain Southworth can legally adopt Ala'a. Yet theirs is a story of faith and trust in God, and the Captain's response to God's love for him in Jesus Christ. By his own admission, Captain Southworth became convinced, through prayerful consideration of the situation and his growing love for Ala'a, that he couldn't abandon Ala'a to certain death in a state run orphanage and that all the obstacles and sacrifices he might have to make were nothing to be compared to those Jesus made for him.

We live in a world where selfishness seems to be the order of the day. "What's in it for me" is the mantra of the marketing world, as they strive to entice the consumer to purchase a particular product or service. I've heard the same thing over and over again as I seek to share specific ministry needs and request volunteer of financial assistance. The advice is always, "You've got to answer the question, 'What's in it for me?' if you really expect people to respond to the need, especially if you're asking for money." Such an expectation on the part of human beings when asked to purchase a product or service makes a certain amount of sense. After all, why would anyone purchase a product or service if it didn't hold any value, purpose, or use for them? Yet, when it comes to doing the Lord's work, loving others in His name, sharing our lives and resources with those in need, and sharing the marvelous message of the forgiveness of sins, life, and salvation in Jesus Christ, either ourselves or through others, our sinful nature often seems to take hold and we ask that question, "What's in it for me?"

Our heavenly Father, through the power of His Word and Spirit, calls us to a living discipleship in Jesus Christ which loves others as we have been loved by Him. Our Lord Jesus Christ gives us the perfect example of love for God and love for our fellow human beings in His perfect obedience to the Father and His suffering, death, and resurrection for us. If Jesus had asked "What's in it for me?" on the way to the Cross, you, I, and the whole world wouldn't have a prayer for our salvation. We would be lost forever to God's love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness. If Jesus had asked, "What's in it for me?", Sin, Death, and Satan would have prevailed and our salvation and hope of heaven would be gone forever. Yet, our Lord Jesus Christ didn't ask, "What's in it for me?" Instead, He selflessly and lovingly gave Himself up for us, making the greatest sacrifice of all, once and for all times, so that all who believe in His name might have power to become the children of God.

Young Ala'a is a child of God--he's a Christian. His new "father," Captain Southworth, is also a Christian. In them we see the hand of our heavenly Father, uniting two of His children, redeemed in Christ, so that His love might be shown forth to the world. Ala'a prayed diligently and faithfully for Captain Southworth to remain safe under horrific combat conditions. Captain Southworth prayed for God to reveal His Will and His Way to accomplish Ala'a's freedom from the ravages of war to bring him to a loving and safe home. God's Will has been accomplished. He will give both of them His love, grace, and mercy so that they might be strengthened through the challenges they still face. What a wonderful example of God's purpose for us in our lives, "that he who loves God must love his brother also" (I Jn. 4:21).

Prayer: Father, as I heard the story of Scott Southworth and little Ala'a, I couldn't help but be reminded that with You nothing shall be impossible. I wonder if I would have responded as Captain Southworth did, sacrificing many things in his life for the sake of another human being, who though a brother in Christ was still a stranger--and from a foreign land. Thank Your for reminding me in such a real and practical way of Your great love for me and the whole world. Help me to seek to love others in the same way as You love me each and every day. Let my life be a living testimony to Your guidance, Your strength, and the power of Your love and forgiveness in my life, so that I might lead others to the foot of the Cross where they, too, might see Your great love at work for a world of sinners in Jesus. Father, grant me the strength of faith and trust in You that I might not ask, "What's in it for me?" when You put opportunities before me to love others. Instead, grant me Your grace and the power of Your Spirit that I might rather ask, "What can I do for other?" In Jesus' precious name I pray. Amen.
****************************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: