Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Growing A Childlike Faith In Jesus

"Today's Devotion" For March 16, 2005

Read: Matthew 19:13-15; I Peter 1:13-2:3

GROWING A CHILDLIKE FAITH IN JESUS

"'Let the little children come to Me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'" (Mt.19:14)

As a young father, I was always intrigued by the term, "Rug rats." In some circles I found it to be a very commonly used phrase to describe those little people we call "children." I suppose that the phrase has its origins in the fact that children run around a lot, get underfoot, get in the way, can ruin a perfectly good evening, make too much noise, keep their parents up nights, make messes, skin their knees, cry a lot, and, among a host of other things, stretch a family's financial resources to the hilt. While the phrase is most often used in a joking or humorous manner, some of those whom I've heard use the phrase, "rug rats," to describe children, truly seem to believe that children are the worst possible creatures to exist in the world. Having seven "rug rats" myself, all of whom can hardly be considered "rug rats" anymore, I've often found it difficult to keep a straight face and not ask those who I've heard us the phrase pejoratively if they were ever children themselves.

I know I could be considered an old "stick in the mud" for taking the description of "rug rats" too far. Of course, I've often wondered how children would feel if they heard adults call them any kind of "rats." Matthew's account of the disciples' reaction to those who were bringing little children to Jesus for His blessing and prayer seems to indicate that they were in the "rug rat" camp themselves. "Don't bother the Teacher with these 'insignificant' little people" seemed to be their thinking. Yet, when Jesus sees their actions He reminds them that children are equally important gifts from God to us, as the gift of marriage is for a man and woman. Children are also part of God's created order of things and are under His blessing and care, just as are adults. What's more, Jesus says, children are special to Him because they come to Him with such, simple, trusting faith and openness. Furthermore, Jesus reminds the Twelve, children are guileless, just as are all those who fully and completely trust and believe in Jesus. It's for such as these, the humble, open, and trusting, that the kingdom of heaven has been prepared.

By the grace of God, we have been brought to faith in Christ Jesus. We have been assured that in Him our sins are forgiven and that we have the hope and promise of eternal life. We have been redeemed by a crucified and risen Savior, Whose crucifixion is seen as foolishness by the world. Yet by God's grace the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus is the means by which our Father in heaven restores us to Himself. We believe in that "foolishness of God" and strive to be just as trusting, open, and humble before God as are the "little children" who came to Jesus. To have such a faith as a little child is desirable and pleasing to God. God's love for us in Christ is so great and wonderful that it defies logic and sophisticated thinking. Our lives in Christ remain simple and childlike so that we might fully live in Him. God doesn't call His children "rug rats." We are not a bother to Him. We are special to Him. We are His beloved children, redeemed in Christ. There's nothing better than this, and in this childlike faith we are truly blessed.

Prayer: Father, thank You for not considering me a bother to You. By sending Jesus to suffer and die for my sins, You have assured me of just how much You love me and how important I am to You. Help me to remain childlike in my faith so that I might totally and without hesitation trust in You for every good thing. Continue to keep me in Your love and strengthen my faith that I might be a strong, humble, trusting, loyal, and faithful witness to Your love for the whole world in Jesus Christ. Keep me safely in Your arms according to Your promise in Christ my Lord; in whose precious name I pray. Amen.
***********************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2005 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: