Monday, May 07, 2007

Jesus Is The Christ For Everyone

Read: Acts 11:1-18
Romans 10:1-15

JESUS IS THE CHRIST FOR EVERYONE

"As the Scripture says, 'Anyone who trust in Him will never be put to shame. For this is no difference between Jew and Gentile - the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on Him, for, "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."'" (Romans 10:11-13)

I don't know about you, but no one is knocking down my door to put my face on the cover of GQ, or to have me pose for a fashion spread. To say that I'm overweight is an understatement of galactic proportions. I can honestly say no reporters are calling me day and night seeking my erudite opinion on the political, social, or economic events of the day. I have more bills to pay than I have money, my asset base is zero, and, all in all, I'm just a really very ordinary person. How about you?

Human beings tend to look at certain characteristics as being signs of success and prosperity, power and prestige. We put labels on people like short and fat, tall and skinny, handsome or ugly, beautiful, plain, or a "dog." How we treat others often is a result of what they look like, how they dress, how clean or dirty they might be, what their level of wealth or prestige might be, or even what kind of car they drive. We are attracted to some people and repulsed by others. The phrase, "They're our kind of people!" is a very real part of how human beings gravitate to others.

Our sinful, human nature drives wedges between us and others because "they" might not be like us. "They're not our kind of people," and so we turn away, ignore, or chase such people away. Thank God, however, that He hasn't treated us the same way. Certainly, as we hear in Scripture, "we are all like an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags" (Isaiah 64:6). If we saw ourselves as God sees us we wouldn't want anything to do with us. Yet, in His grace, mercy, compassion, and love God determined to save all humanity from the stain and stink of Sin and redeem us for Himself that we might receive His forgiveness and live with Him forever in heaven.

In Jesus, the Christ - the Anointed One, the Messiah - God fulfilled His promise to redeem all people from their sins. Jesus died on the Cross for everyone, no matter how big or small, short or tall, fat or thin, rich or poor, famous or infamous, so that all might know God's forgiveness and be at peace with Him. When we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Thus, as we have received God's grace and blessings, His love and forgiveness, all who believe in Jesus seek to share Him with others. The Gospel, the Good News, isn't the sole possession of any group or groups of people, but the power of God for salvation to all who believe. As we have received the Good News through the power of God's Word and Spirit, we seek to get that Good News out to others. As witnesses of God's love in Christ Jesus we don't take a look at the externals of people but remember that Christ died for everyone. He is the Christ, the Messiah, the Savior for everyone, regardless of station in life - "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." That's an important thing to remember the next time God gives us an opportunity to share Jesus with someone in need of His love or invite someone who isn't quite like us to come to worship with us.

Prayer: Father, forgive me for all those times I miss the opportunities You've given me to share Jesus with others. Too often I've looked at others and judged them by their clothing, their station in life, their intellect, or their wealth and then chosen not to share Your love, grace, mercy and forgiveness in Christ with them. Too often, Father, my witness is reserved for those who are "like me," forgetting that all human beings are alike in one very crucial and critical way - we are all sinners in need of repentance and salvation. Father, forgive me for such arrogance and unloving behavior and send Your Holy Spiriit into my heart so that I may truly seek to share Jesus with others. Let me witness be sure and certain; don't let human labels prevent me from being a faithful witness and disciple of Christ Jesus, in whose precious name I pray. Amen.
*****************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2007 by Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: