Friday, May 18, 2007

God Is Our Sure Refuge In The Face Of Fear

"Today's Devotion" For May 16, 2007

Read: Isaiah 43:1-13; Psalm 46

GOD IS OUR SURE REFUGE IN THE FACE OF FEAR

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though the waves roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." (Psalm 46:1-3)

How fearful a place is the world? Over the past weekend I read a newspaper article about a father in the central city who is doing his best to love his children and take care of them. One of the things he has done to keep them safe is to arrange the furniture in their living room so that it can form a barrier of protection in case of stray bullets shattering the silence of their home. On Monday of this week, with that story fresh in the minds of the newspaper's readers, another story was published that seemly reflects the futility of the father's attempts at safety for his children. It seems that another child, four-year old Jasmine, was killed in a drive-by shooting by a stray bullet that entered her family's living room and struck her dead.

Our world isn't a safe place. Everywhere we look violence and destruction seems to abound. We're engaged in a global "war on terror," that seems to have no boundaries and many manifestations. Terror is not only perpetrated by disgruntled rebels, religious fanatics, or political dissidents. Terror rears its ugly head when a small child is killed in a drive by shooting as collateral damage. Terror takes control when a family loses its freedom to take a walk down the street on a summer's evening to enjoy the warmth and grow their family's bonds. Terror takes control when a child brings a bullet to his school principal that he claims to have found at school and the police are called in. Terror takes control when a mentally ill student goes off the deep end and commits mayhem and murder on a university campus. The news of the day seems intricately intertwined with a sense of futility and fear that is gripping the nation and the world.

It's into such an atmosphere that God comes to humanity and says, "Pay attention to Me. I love you so much that I've sent my One and Only Son into the flesh to redeem you from slavery to Sin and the fear that it engenders in your hearts and lives." The Psalmist reminds us that the God who has created the universe and who specifically and specially created humanity in His image and likeness is "our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble." We're not left alone to face our fears, confront terror, and stand against evil. God's promise to Israel as they faced their enemies - those who sought to destroy them - was that they were His people. Even though they faced the powers of darkness and Sin which sought to destroy them through their enemies, God assured them that He would be with them. That same promise and assurance is ours as well, through faith in Jesus Christ.

One of the tools I use to ramp up my courage or that of others when faced with a fearful and daunting situation is to ask myself and others, "What's the worst thing that anyone can do to me? Take away my birthday?" Many times, people will look at me as if I were crazy (if you ask my wife and kids they would probably say I am:>)). Yet the reality of living a life of faith in Christ, trusting in the power and promises of God, is that if my life were taken - my birthday disappears if you will - I have the hope and assurance that I will be with God forever in heaven. In that confidence and hope we can, by faith, take heart and have the courage to face down any fear, confront any terror, and overcome any evil. God's love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in Christ is the only message of hope and peace that can change the hearts of those who do evil and promote terror and fear. It's the only message that can take the fear from fear-filled hearts and replace it with hope, peace, joy, and thanksgiving. Only Jesus can change what is ailing our world, our nation, and our communities. Only God's love in Christ can change the hearts of those who would seek to destroy. In the meantime, we also take heart because our God is truly our refuge and strength in the face of any and all fear and terror and Christ is the hope of the world.

Prayer: Father, as I look around me I see death and destruction, evil and danger seemingly everywhere. The news of the day seems to say there's no place that's safe from danger and fear in the world. Even the security of my home can be breached by those who might seek to do harm to me or my family. I'm frustrated at the news accounts of little children being murdered in their homes by unthinking and uncaring people who don't care about or love anyone other than themselves. I'm both angry and fearful; angry at such people and our seeming inability to stem the tide of such destructive behavior, and fearful of stepping forward and having my voice heard and having violence visited directly upon me or those I love. It's fear that immobilizes me all too often from speaking Your truth and working for the welfare of others. Forgive me, Father, for being so self-centered and fearful that I fail to see the opportunities You give me to make a difference as Your witness and servant. Strengthen my faith by the power of Your Word and Spirit, that I may step forth boldly with the truth of Your Word and its power to change people's lives. Remind me that You are my refuge and strength in every trouble. Give me the courage to take the risks necessary to touch the lives of those who seek to harm others with Your love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness in Jesus, so that hearing they might be changed into instruments of Your peace. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
*************************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2007 by Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: