Monday, April 09, 2007

Sent With Christ's Peace To Strengthen Us

"Today's Devotion" For April 9, 2007

Read: John 20:19-23; Psalm 30

SENT WITH CHRIST'S PEACE TO STRENGTHEN US

"Again Jesus said, 'Peace be with you! As the Father has sent Me, I am sending you.'" (John 20:21)

I believe that if I had been at the foot of the Cross on that first Good Friday, I would have been no less confused, hurt, and afraid than Jesus' disciples were. Not only that, but I'm not so certain I wouldn't have been just as troubled and fearful had I discovered that Jesus was no longer in the tomb and no one seemed to know what had happened. If it had been me hearing the angels' reminder, "remember what He said...", I still don't think I would have understood. On top of all that I'm pretty certain that I would have been just as afraid of the Jewish leaders as the disciples were and would have found myself in that locked room on the evening of that first Easter.

How about you? Can you relate to what the disciples must have been going through? We're privileged with the hindsight to be able to hear and see the reminders of what was happening to Jesus and what work He was accomplishing that were so visible in the events of that first Good Friday and Easter. Yet, if we're honest with ourselves, we would have been just as much in need of our Lord's greeting of peace as the other disciples. Just as they had run and hidden while He hung on the Cross, and just as they had remained skeptical and doubtful about His Resurrection, and just as they were in seclusion, confused, afraid, and doubting, so also do we find ourselves all too often when the world challenges our faith and trust in Jesus.

Into that time of fearfulness and confusion comes our Lord Jesus Christ. As He appeared in that locked room and shared His "Peace" with the disciples, so also does He share His peace with us. Instead of scolding them for running away and hiding; instead of scolding them for their doubt and unbelief, Jesus wishes them peace - He offers them His forgiveness and love, compassion and mercy, grace and hope. He is alive, just as He had said. He is no longer in the grave for He has overcome Sin, death, and Satan for us. Because of this reality, this great blessing and gift from God, His people have no need to be afraid of anyone or anything. Nothing can keep us from His love and forgiveness. Our hope of heaven is assured in His resurrection and we have Good News to tell others.

Jesus' peace rests upon us in all of our life and living. His peace can see us through every challenge of faith, every time of doubt and fear, and every temptation. When we touch the lives of others, we have His peace to remind and encourage us to share His peace and love with them. The Good News is for everyone. Just as He sent His disciples that first Easter, so also does He send us to tell and share the forgiveness of sins with the world. As we live in His peace and forgiveness we are empowered by His Word and Spirit to boldly proclaim Him to the world through our words and deeds.

Prayer: Father, thank You for establishing Your peace with the world through my Lord Jesus Christ. Your peace gives me hope in the midst of a world that would just as soon do things its own way as Yours. So often I'm afraid to share Your love in Christ with others, filled with the same fears and doubts as the disciples had that first Easter evening. Forgive me for failing to look to You for strength, hope, and peace. Forgive me for so often forgetting that You have removed my sins from me for the sake of Jesus and that I am clothed in His righteousness and holiness by faith. Help me to put aside fear and confusion, doubt and despair as I face a world at odds with You. Instead, filled with Christ's peace and forgiveness, lead me to boldly live for You and share Christ with the world so others might know Your peace, love, and forgiveness and gain the same hope of heaven You have given me. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
*********************************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright © 2007 by Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: