Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Our Hope In God Is Never Misplaced

"Today's Devotion" For January 4, 2006

Read: Job 19: 1-27
Psalm 42

OUR HOPE IN GOD IS NEVER MISPLACED

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." (Ps. 42:11)

Early this morning, about 2:30 am CST, a breaking news story caught my eyes and ears. Perhaps you were already asleep - I wish I had been. It seems that elation and joy had been turned to sorrow and sadness when it was announced that twelve of thirteen miners trapped in a West Virginia coal mine had died. Hearing about the death of these miners, whom so many had been praying would be rescued, and for whom so many had struggled mightily to bring to safety was sad enough. Yet, cruel was the news for many, especially their loved ones, because earlier reports had said all but one had been brought out alive. Since this tragic news came out after most newspapers had already gone to press and were being distributed around the cities, towns, villages, and countryside of the nation, many a headline such as, "Miners Found Alive," greeted millions of people all over the nation this morning. Those who weren't listening to morning news broadcasts would have had no idea about the inaccuracy of those headlines until they heard it later from co-workers or a neighbor.

The newspaper account in the local newspaper, written by the Associated Press, reported the joy and relief the families of those miners felt when they heard the false news. Church bells were rung, hymns of praise to God were sung, and Christian people spoke of their belief that God had intervened and performed a miracle for the miners and their families. It's not too hard to imagine how those same people are feeling right now, after hearing that their hopes and elation had been dashed because of a miscommunication. Someone had, in their anxiety for good news about the miners, misinterpreted overheard cell phone calls to the rescue command center reporting the miners had been found. The results have been devastating to those whose joy has subsequently dashed. Reports have come out of fights breaking out, as well as much sorrow, anger, frustration, and finger-pointing (blaming) in the aftermath of the shocking announcement.

We encounter false hope and expectations every day of our lives. While we know that we are sinners and that Sin brings pain, suffering, anguish, hatred, murder, death, addiction, crime, war, and a host of other maladies of body, soul, spirit, and human relationships, we're not always willing to accept the consequences of our sinfulness. All too often people look to the Bible for answers to their questions, seeking to find the answers and outcomes they want and expect rather than what is true and real. We don't like pain so we seek comfort - even when it's not there. We don't like uncertainty so we seek hope - even if it's a false hope. Yet, no matter how much we might like to hide from the reality and consequences of Sin in the world and in our lives, we can't.

In the midst of the false hopes, dashed dreams, broken promises, and general chaos Sin brings into our lives, comes God's promises in Jesus Christ. Our Father in heaven assures us that through faith in Jesus, no matter what else is going on around us, even if our lives seem to be caving in and disintegrating, our sins are forgiven and we have the sure and certain hope of eternal life. He assures us in the midst of all pain and suffering, uncertainty and sorrow, that He we are His very own, true children and He loves us no matter what.

Today, in the face of the sorrow, frustration, and anger of those West Virginia miners' families comes the words of that "man of patience" of so long ago - Job. In the midst of his frustration, disappointment, anger, depression, and sorrow over all the things that had been happening to him and the loss of his children, possessions, and health he still held tight to the confident hope he had in God's promises. His confident confession of faith, even in the midst of circumstances that tried his faith and tempted him to "curse God and die," Job could say, "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God. I myself will see Him with my own eyes - I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!" (Job 19:25-27).

Job knew and believed, even in the midst of his pain, sorrow, and suffering, that God was always with him and that, in spite of the problems of his life, nothing could keep him from his Redeemer. While his "friends" tried to comfort him in backhanded sort of ways, he clung to the truth of God's love for him, God's forgiveness to him, and his certain faith that God would never leave him or forsake him. False hopes and promises couldn't drag Job away from God, no matter how much others tried to provoke him, because he knew, as we do also by faith, that our hope in God is never misplaced, even when everything seems to be coming down around us.

Prayer: Father, I ask Your peace and blessings rest upon the hearts and lives of the families of those miners in West Virginia. Watch over them and keep them in Your divine protection and love. In the face of their deep sorrow at the death of their loved ones - husbands, fathers, uncles, brothers, and friends - give them the strength to get past the terrible crashing of the false hope generated by the mistaken communications passed along to them. Comfort them in their sorrow, encourage them in their faith, and remind them that You are still in charge and that those who die in Jesus are with You forever in heaven. Help me to also remember that my hope is never false when I put my whole trust in You. Forgive me for those times I fail to pay attention to Your Word and seek to find my own, preconceived answers rather than waiting for You to give me understanding and peace. Guide me by Your Word and Spirit to put my trust in You, my only Redeemer and Savior, my Creator and my God. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
***********************

--Pastor Boeck

Copyright @2006 Rev. Richard J. Boeck, Jr. All rights reserved.

No comments: